Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Son's first bear (Just a little guy???)

Re: Son's first bear (Just a little guy???)

I probably should finish the story as some may find it interesting. When we arrived back to the scene of the downed bear, the second chocolate bear was still there. Now this was no cub, This was a very decent adult male which we both agreed either one of us would have been happy to take. It was no small bear, just not as big as the other. This bear stood about 20 yards from the downed bear. As we parked the truck, near the downed bear, I got out very cautiously as the chocolate bear was out of sight just behind the tail gate of the truck. I watched the bear for any signs of aggression. "OK. None at the moment."

Nevertheless as we proceeded to field dress the big one, this bear would not leave. It continued close by, circling all around us feeding on and off as it did so. At times as close as 15 yards, and all the while we were field dressing the bear. Of course I did not observe any body language suggesting aggression towards us. Just the same, when working on any downed animal, always have your rifle nearby and chambered in a safe position with safety on. In this case, I was also conscious of the possibility of a third but not so friendly bear nearby. You never know! Be safe out there folks!

Finally I will say that I am very proud of both my son and his wife. They both took complete care of the meat and did an excellent job of butchering. I had a taste sample and the meat from this big bear was as good and tasty as any bear meat that I have ever had. Including all my bears.

Didn't expect that
    Always EXPECT the UNEXPECTED!

The Bear looks like a brute! Nice work!

I was going to say the same thing, nice bear!!!!
    congrats and thanks for posting.
    Quote Originally Posted by monasheemountainman View Post
    how big was he? is your son a hobbit? that thing looks huge

That’s a huge bear! Congrats!

That's a cranker Bear!

Wow that was a big bear. Very nice for sure. Thanks for posting the story and picture.
    Nothing is like climbing a mountain, and then feeling like you are at the top of the world.

Hey LBM

He decided not to keep the hide. Couldn't justify the cost to have it done by a taxidermist. But at my persuasion, he did decide to keep the scull at least.
    Always EXPECT the UNEXPECTED!

Outstanding! One heck of a first bear. Congratulations to your son.

You were wise to keep an eye on the other bear (s) while you were field dressing your sons bear, I have had several incidents over the years when another boar has come in and began tearing into a boar that had just been shot.

Your comment about most hunters not being able to tell the sex of bears is bang on. They can't tell the sex and they cannot judge size, which is why most hunters end up taking a small bear the first go round and see what "ground shrinkage" is all about. As you mentioned, the only way to fix that is by spending a lot of time watching bears and sizing them up. Nothing beats the time spent observing the bears and looking for the various physical differences and attributes you use for determining sex and size. Most hunters who are willing to put in the effort will get better at it, but I have known a few that just never seemed to put it all together.

Again, congrats on a great bear and some quality family time.

great bear! thanks for sharing
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Awesome bear no doubt. Don’t suppose you have any other field pictures to share? My largest black was a fall alpine bear...his belly was dragging on the ground and rubbed raw. There was no doubting that one. I will say they are the most deceiving big game animal out there imo.
    Live to Hunt...