Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Son's first bear (Just a little guy???)

Re: Son's first bear (Just a little guy???)

Quote Originally Posted by hunterdon View Post
    Hey LBM

He decided not to keep the hide. Couldn't justify the cost to have it done by a taxidermist. But at my persuasion, he did decide to keep the scull at least.
    Yup, they cost a mini fortune now. (I understand it from the Tax's point of view and making a living however)
    Had no idea however till last fall.
    We took a small absolutely beautiful chocolate brown with darker legs....and the coat was great.
    But, after getting a few quotes, my hunting partner nor I were going to pay that.

Had we known, we would have left it and taken one of your run of the mill black ones, as we couldn't stop stepping on them last fall.
    Next time, we will take a tag, but hunt blacks only.
    I like the chocolate ones and don't see a ton of them, so they get a pass "next time". (unless I win the lottery!!)

Still made for some good pepperoni and roasts.
    And, fyi, don't hold it against anyone what they take color phase wise.
    Just realized we cant afford it, so I will leave them for those that want a bear that is uniquely different and can get a rug done.

Congrats to your son on a stud of a Blackie. Thanks for posting up the story.

I’d be real interested to know what the final score is on the skull. It looks like a real hog.

Little guy for sure, maybe 75lbs... good for a first bear LOL

Seriously though, that's a dang arctodus simus !!!

Congrats to you and your son and thank you for writing it up so well for HBC. I think this is my favorite HBC bear season since I have been around the forum.

Geeez that thing looks huge ! Not sure if it is the way the photo is taken or what but the bear looks real large !
    Good story and Congrats to your son !
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Thanks to all for the great comments, from both of us. Trust me, it's not the photos. There's no standing behind the bear as to appear much smaller than the bear. This is the real deal. Time for me to go to bed. Again, appreciate all the positive feedback.
    Always EXPECT the UNEXPECTED!

Thanks to all for the great comments, from both of us. Trust me, it's not the photos. There's no standing behind the bear as to appear much smaller than the bear. This is the real deal. Time for me to go to bed. Again, appreciate all the positive feedback.
    Thank you again for the picture and write-up

Hey LBM

He decided not to keep the hide. Couldn't justify the cost to have it done by a taxidermist. But at my persuasion, he did decide to keep the scull at least.
    Sadly that is getting to be a problem now days, one could just get them tanned but that is getting up there now as well. JMO and you have all ready said only hunting for meat
    I just find it a waste throwing something like that out, at least he kept the skull would be interesting to see some numbers on it when he has it cleaned,

Congrats on the bear and thanks for sharing

Quote Originally Posted by LBM View Post
    Sadly that is getting to be a problem now days, one could just get them tanned but that is getting up there now as well. JMO and you have all ready said only hunting for meat
    I just find it a waste throwing something like that out, at least he kept the skull would be interesting to see some numbers on it when he has it cleaned,
    I understand why you feel this way, it was something I had trouble with initially...but that has a lot to do with what we grew up with for game laws and how things were viewed in the past. We have to look at these things rationally though, and if you are an ardent bear hunter and hunt them for meat, tossing the hide from a black bear is really no different than if you leave a deer hide in the bush from a buck you shot. I know I have always been an ardent bear hunter and over the years I eventually found myself wondering what the hell I was going to do with stacks of tanned bear hides...bear hides aren't worth anything these days and tanning prices are through the roof. Only so much room in your house for bear rugs and bear mounts, so if you want to keep bear hunting and eating bear meat, well a change in mindset is needed.

You just can't shell out $300-$400 bucks every time you kill a bear to have the hide tanned and then toss it on a growing stack in the corner of the man cave. Nor can you pay to tan it, get the permits to sell it and take a bath on it when you find out no one wants to give you more than a couple hundred bucks for it...if you actually can find someone to buy it. It's just the way it is these days and the only alternative is to quit bear hunting.

I have always felt the same way about moose and deer hides, but the cost of tanning the hides into leather is absolutely ridiculous. Seems they can ship deer, pig and cattle hides to China and have them tanned, ship them back and make garments out of them and put them on the sales racks for a few hundred bucks each. As a hunter however, getting a jacket made out of moose, elk or deer leather from the animals you harvest would set you back a few thousand. Who the heck can afford that?

Awesome bear, congrats to your son!
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach