Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Son's first bear (Just a little guy???)

Re: Son's first bear (Just a little guy???)

You know, my mistake was that the bears that my friends had done were some years ago now, AND, that they were done by a friend that did it for
    cheap (but great work), and think in the end, they only paid around 600$.
    But he has since retired and moved away.

Also, yes, it does cost a lot now, even before the taxy gets his/her hands on it, and a long time to even get the hide with hair on back (a year! then another 6 months for the work)

So, shelling out 1500.00$ + on a rug with head and teeth, aint cheap!

So, FYI to all, keep up with "Current Prices" if you are considering mounts!

Retiredguy, you are right, in a way, it is no different then a deer hide that gets tossed.
    I just know in the future, unless I really do have the cash for a mount, the "different ones" will walk.
    (seen some real cool colored ones, one a huge "orange color, and some other with "grizzled tips")

BUT, from speaking to others, some places really do have a big bear surplus right now, and they need to be reduced, or some will be a sickly bunch walking around very soon.
    So, everyone, if you like bear meat, or want to try it, "Get a tag", as it is a good time right now to hunt them!

And yes, that is a nice sized bear, no tom foolery in that photo!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post

Also, yes, it does cost a lot now, even before the taxy gets his/her hands on it, and a long time to even get the hide with hair on back (a year! then another 6 months for the work)

So, shelling out 1500.00$ + on a rug with head and teeth, aint cheap!

So, FYI to all, keep up with "Current Prices" if you are considering mounts!

Retiredguy, you are right, in a way, it is no different then a deer hide that gets tossed.
    I just know in the future, unless I really do have the cash for a mount, the "different ones" will walk.
    (seen some real cool colored ones, one a huge "orange color, and some other with "grizzled tips")

BUT, from speaking to others, some places really do have a big bear surplus right now, and they need to be reduced, or some will be a sickly bunch walking around very soon.
    So, everyone, if you like bear meat, or want to try it, "Get a tag", as it is a good time right now to hunt them!

And yes, that is a nice sized bear, no tom foolery in that photo!!!!!
    Yes bugle M In you are correct. Just prior to my son taking this bear, upon my advice he called the taxidermist concerning costs etc. He was told it normally is in excess of 1000 dollars for the average bear. When asked if he or anybody else would be interested in buying a bear hide should he be successful, he replied he would not be interested in any hide regardless of size or quality as their just isn't any viable market/demand these days. I think we can all agree that this hide would exceed the "average" bear hide and so your suggestion of 1500 dollars seems very realistic. Too expensive!!!!

So, both you and retiredguy's comments have nailed it, as far as I'm concerned. I have in the past tried on my own to tan a bear hide.

It worked but ........ Let's just say it didn't meet my wife's standards.
    Always EXPECT the UNEXPECTED!

I’m a newbie but what I just found out made me happy. With COVID costs are tight but I tanned my bear hide for now at least. But knowing I can still do a rug down the road made my day
    Member of CCFR

Wow looks like a beauty!

How long was that bear?? I'm one of those guys that wouldnt spend the money for tanning either unless the bear was really special

But this one looks pretty special! Did he measure it?
    How tall is your son for reference?

How tall is the guy beside the bear?
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

That is a big bear for sure.