Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bow Hunting Styles Region 8

Re: Bow Hunting Styles Region 8

Region 8 isn't the best for spot n stalk. Almost everywhere you go unless its private land is dense forrest and blowdow. While it makes for good cover it also is impossible to move quietly. The only time I've ever gotten within bow range, spot n stalk was on private ranch land. With open grass fields and limited timber

Quote Originally Posted by JG75 View Post
    Region 8 isn't the best for spot n stalk. Almost everywhere you go unless its private land is dense forrest and blowdow. While it makes for good cover it also is impossible to move quietly. The only time I've ever gotten within bow range, spot n stalk was on private ranch land. With open grass fields and limited timber
    region 8 has some of the easiest stalking timber in the province..take your work boots off put on some runners and slow down...90 percent of my animals harvested in region 8 where still hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny_29 View Post
    This is an excellent point, to be able to spot and stalk effectively being proficient with a bow is a must...I regularly practice out past a 100 yards, no I wouldn't shoot an animal that far but you should be practicing around twice as far as you plan to shoot
    yes i do the same.

You don't realize how bad your form is until you start shooting at a 100 for the first time lol.

Most of my success in reg 8 has been from a tree stand . The main advantage is the old military adage is that you "control" the ground . Another advantage is the elevation of you scent above the ground , small due to swirl of air but still a small bonus . Todays larger tree like Summits Golith and Titon are quite light , and comfortable for the cold weather bulked out bowhunter . Another is the boredom of starring out a slot of a commercial ground blind which leads to distractions like iPhone use . So much more to entertain you in a stand with all around wildlife activities . Missed a close up opportunity on 5pt WT while using ear buds in a tree stand .lol. You get zoned out , especially older hunters . lol . Other advantages but one tip I've used over lots of years is pace out various anticipated launches , and include two practice field pointed arrows and after each sit session "school out" with them . Not only does this practice sessions school one on various ground targets but more importantly elevates your confident level should Mucho Grandy suddenly appear . Cheers . After over 45 years of bowhunting , finally pulled my stand but enjoy the exploits of others . Good luck on what ever system you use , just get out there and learn .
    Last edited by greybark; 05-31-2020 at 07:57 AM.
    REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab on --

Group Memberships.

Traditional Bowhunters of BC
    Abbotsford Fish and Game Club
    BCWF
    United Bowhunters of BC