Thread: How much salt?

Question How much salt?

Just finished a conversation with buddies who i'm doing a fly in sheep hunt with.
    We've never actually flown in for sheep and goats, so we have always used/had as much salt as we wanted.
    But this trip for sheep we need to pack some salt with us, and leave some at base camp.
    So how much salt should a person pack for sheep up the mtn, and at base camp?
    cheers
    Allan

2. Site Sponsor

Re: How much salt?

I fill a 650 ml Gatorade bottle. Tap it to make it settle then top it up. Plenty for a shoulder cape and even enough for a life size cape if you have good drying conditions.
    Leave another 1L bottle at the drop point.

SSS
    Last edited by Stone Sheep Steve; 05-26-2020 at 10:25 AM.
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

We carried 1lbs each with us. Leave 5lbs with your extra food by the lake. We are bringing a 5 gallon bucket, lid and rope to hang in a tree with food, beer, fuel and extra salt this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Sheep Steve View Post
    I fill a 650 ml Gatorade bottle. Tap it to make it settle then top it up. Plenty for a shoulder cape and even enough fora life size caps if you have good drying conditions.
    Leave another 1L bottle at the drop point.

SSS
    This is what I do as well. It’s plenty enough to salt a shoulder cape twice. I will leave an extra bottle at the pickup point as well. The most important thing is to get as much flesh as possible off the cape before salting.
    Sheep have very thin hide on neck and shoulders so doesn’t take much salt to dry them out.

Depending on weight flying into the lake, I/we, bring a 44lbs bag from Costco, and bring some in a plastic bottle, leaving the rest at the lake.

We’ve used 2 bags on a moose cape.
    It was dry almost dry when we left home.

As a good buddy of mine once said “salt is cheap, but sheep hunting is hard, and expensive”

Quote Originally Posted by stone sheep steve View Post
    i fill a 650 ml gatorade bottle. Tap it to make it settle then top it up. Plenty for a shoulder cape and even enough fora life size caps if you have good drying conditions.
    Leave another 1l bottle at the drop point.

Sss
    ^^^^x2^^^^^^
    "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC
    ..... The NDP approach: if the facts don't fit your ideology, just pretend the facts don't exist.......