Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hunting Cooler

Re: Hunting Cooler

I do the same as EVX mentioned for longer hunting trips. Small chest freezer with a digital controller to make it into a fridge and a portable generator. Keeps the meat at 3-4 degrees.

i would be concerned about bacteria in cooler with ice after many days, wouldn’t there be a lot of moisture?

Coolers, chilli bins, beer lockers, oh the debate goes on. Yeti founded themselves on being american made quality products....then moved all production to china and kept the price the same. There are many roto molded coolers on the market that will keep ice for 7-9 days. I have a Titan 55qt roto molded cooler, it keeps block ice for 8 days is grizzly bear proof and tested and half the price of a yeti but made in the same city in China. Titan (costco and others), and Ozark trails (walmart USA) coolers are made by arctic zone coolers who produces them. Arctic zone is a Canadian company in Toronto, so they got that going for them. As for the decision, thats up to you, I have yeti coffee cups, both given to me and they are garbage in every way shape and form, so I don't like yeti, I have a Titan becuase it works great and I keep it in my boat all summer now. Id say watch some youtube comparisons and look around for what you can find locally and what fits you best. Basically all the roto molded coolers are the same for keeping things cold except for outside handles and what not, yeti just charges more. https://arcticzone.com/products/tita...st-roto-cooler
    Last edited by Firstblood; 05-25-2020 at 09:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Osprey87 View Post
    Coleman extreme cooler series, they hold there own against top brands and usually fall just shy of yetis in comparison cost at 1/3rd the price. I have a 110quart that I filled full of commercial crushed iced that last 12 days last September and that's with a large muley being iced down
    This ^ best bang for the buck and keeps ice just as long.

Thanks everyone for the insight and recommendations. I'm going to do some internet sleuthing and see what I can come up with.

Cheers!

I like my RTIC - Yeti knock off. But, as someone else said - it's heavy as shit. The portable fridge/freezers are really coming down in price. My truck has a 120v outlet in the bed and I think that next cooler will be one of these: http://csiaccessories.com/products/W52

About 450 US$.

Yeti were the go-to for extreme coolers when they first came out, but there are several makers of similar products now that perform just as good for a lot less cash. By all means buy a Yeti if you want, but don't think you're getting a far superior cooler, you're getting a name, that's it.
    I like the idea of a portable fridge/freezer like jlirot posted. A buddy has a similar one on his sailboat and it works very well. It's big enough for a boned out deer or bear and only cost a bit more than a decent cooler.

this
    and this!

Take a look at Icey Tek. It’s the Aussie version of Yeti - just as good but about 30%-40% less (you pay a lot for the Yeti name). I got a 120 litre one for $400. Awesome cooler. I freeze bottles of water, pre-cool my cooler, and after six days, there is still about 30-40% ice in the bottles, in mid-summer. Tough coolers. I have it for about 3 years. So glad I didn’t get a Yeti.

Walmart has the Coleman Xtreme Marine 120 quart for $138 (regular $180). Seems to be the best deal I've been able to find on them. For that price I will give them a chance!
    Last edited by Jamesonm; 05-27-2020 at 09:28 AM.

I looked into big coolers and found Pelican to have better reviews than Yeti and they are cheaper. Big and heavy though but it keeps ice and items frozen for days and days.