Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunting Cooler

Hunting Cooler

Looking at purchasing a 'hunting' cooler than I can use haul a deer or bear (probably not elk as that will be quite large).

Looking for members to share their experiences with:
    - BRANDS
    - SIZES
    - DEALS and PRICES

Is it worth the money to shell out $500 for a solid cooler that will last a lifetime? Or are the expensive coolers gimmicks, in it that they are catering to a targeted crowd and taking advantage of people and their money - you and up paying for the name tag and a decent no name cooler will do a similar job.

Hoping to be able to keep ice for 5 days or so. Research suggests nothing smaller than 65 quart.

Thanks in advance.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Hunting Cooler

Yeti makes some amazing products but you will fork out the cash for it. They will last forever! Cabelas makes a Yeti style cooler that mimics Yeti that I have heard lots of positive things about. Regarding size, the bigger the better. Get the largest you can afford. Better to have too much room than not enough. Now that being said, I only really use my coolers for salmon and seafood fishing. The key is to keep them out of sunlight and I even wrap a old blanket around my coolers and never have had any issues on 2 week plus hunts.

spend the xtra cash and get a big yeti or cabelas and they will def keep items frozen.
    I support PETA!
    People Eating Tasty Animals!

https://www.yeti.com/en_CA/hard-cool...x1=181&start=1

this is amazing.... but hard to fork out $1199 plus tax.
    I support PETA!
    People Eating Tasty Animals!

Thanks Pressure Point -- Not sure I can justify spending more than $500.

Coleman extreme cooler series, they hold there own against top brands and usually fall just shy of yetis in comparison cost at 1/3rd the price. I have a 110quart that I filled full of commercial crushed iced that last 12 days last September and that's with a large muley being iced down

I picked up a Yeti 160 about a month ago, atmosphere had all Yeti onsale for 25% off, so it worked out to be about $670.

I love it. Have already put a bear in it and had tons of room. I am pretty confident I could get an entire deboned elk in there.

Bought it originally for an upcoming sheep hunt and pretty confident I could fit 2 in there if needed.
    Life begins where your comfort zone ends

WSSBC Monarch; RMGA; 2% for Conservation Certified; WSF; BCWF

Pelican elite coolers are my suggestion. Better/easier latches than yeti rubber bungees. Super tough. Cheaper and more features than yeti. Hold ice as long or longer than the Yeti in independent tests. I've got a 70L pelican elite and 20/30L (? can't recall size) yeti and prefer the pelican. Next time I see the pelicans on sale I will get a bigger one for longer trips etc.

I agree with Osprey87.

I have two Coleman Extreme Marine 150 quart coolers and they're well worth the $220 I paid for each.

I personally can't justify buying other fancy coolers. Both due to price, and their weight/size restrictions. I also don't buy into the fact that some of the fancy rotomolded coolers claim to be bear proof.

The Coleman Extreme Marine series easily hold ice for 5-7 days in Okanagan early season, and I've made a "cooler cover" out of silver Home Depot reflectix that goes over all but the bottom and when doing that, ice will stay in the cooler when it sits under my truck canopy for up to 9 days.
    What goes around, comes around. Think first, and always act with respect.

Quote Originally Posted by russm86 View Post
    Pelican elite coolers are my suggestion. Better/easier latches than yeti rubber bungees. Super tough. Cheaper and more features than yeti. Hold ice as long or longer than the Yeti in independent tests. I've got a 70L pelican elite and 20/30L (? can't recall size) yeti and prefer the pelican. Next time I see the pelicans on sale I will get a bigger one for longer trips etc.
    That is good advice, as they are good coolers.

I've wanted a Yeti style roto-molded for quite some time but I could never bring myself to pay the $500++ for a cooler that is 50 or 60 quarts. JUST bought a "Frigidaire" 70 quart from walmart.ca for $248. That's a price I can stomach. Supposed to arrive today, I will post up my first impressions.