Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fortieth Birthday Hunting Trip

Fortieth Birthday Hunting Trip

Well seems pretty weird to me but I'm turning forty in mid October, my wife is 5 years older than me and I took her to New York for her Fortieth birthday. A few months back she asked me what I wanted to do for my birthday this year, the first thing that came to mind was Red Stag hunting in New Zealand. (She has friends there that hunt so not too much of a stretch to make it happen at the time). However, with the current state of things it's not going to happen. Of course my hunting partner and I are putting in for multiple species here in BC however, if we don't draw anything this year I was thinking it would still be nice to mark the occasion with a hunt that was out of the ordinary. Maybe fly in, river hunt, helicopter drop off? I'm sure there are a few guides or guys that use guides, or don't and do trips that are a little further out there than the fsr's. I am open to suggestions but, would be most interested moose, sheep and elk. I am in no way independently wealthy so a top end guided hunt may not be in the cards, but maybe depending on US border closings there might be some affordable options? Any stories on how you spent your fortieth hunting? Any suggestions on where to go or what to do?
    Hunting, fishing, drawing, and music occupied my every moment. Cares I knew not, and cared naught about them.” -John James Audubon

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Fortieth Birthday Hunting Trip

Moose hunt in Newfoundland has been intriguing to me, if that is an option for you.

Illegal to transport hunters or hunting equipment by helicopter in BC

Thanks, I was unaware of that little bureaucratic nugget..

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdoggdon View Post
    Illegal to transport hunters or hunting equipment by helicopter in BC
    Hunting, fishing, drawing, and music occupied my every moment. Cares I knew not, and cared naught about them.” -John James Audubon

Could be an option, was thinking of planning to stay in BC though. Not too sure about flying across the country this year.

Quote Originally Posted by 338win mag View Post
    Moose hunt in Newfoundland has been intriguing to me, if that is an option for you.

Jet boat or horse drop off hunt for sheep and/ elk moose north east Bc or fly in sheep, caribou moose northwest Bc

Are there guided pronghorn hunts in the prairies? That also would be a considered by many a cool option

That sounds awesome, let me know if you have any contact info for a trip like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jrax View Post
    Jet boat or horse drop off hunt for sheep and/ elk moose north east Bc or fly in sheep, caribou moose northwest Bc

I actually talked to a buddy who went on a mixed bag pronghorn/ mule deer hunt in Wyoming and it was actually pretty affordable. Just not sure what the situation with the borders is going to be like.

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    Are there guided pronghorn hunts in the prairies? That also would be a considered by many a cool option

Happy 40th. Agree a jet boat drop off (although I never did one but looked into it before) would be a good option and wouldn't break the bank. What about looking toward Alberta. Lots of world class deer and epic waterfowl hunting. Not sure of the pricing but may get a good deal with the current situation. Only a days drive through some beautiful country, little difference than heading up to Northern BC
    Last edited by Ron.C; 05-26-2020 at 06:41 AM.