Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: At what point would you shoot a grizzly/other predator in self defense?

Re: At what point would you shoot a grizzly/other predator in self defense?

Like one guy said you will know when the time comes,I had to shoot one several years ago you do not have time to think it all happens so fast your instincts take over.
    I had no problems with the co,s they know when you are when you are telling the truth, its all very intimidating and scary.
    The story is on the forum somewhere but I don't know how to find it, All I can say is be aware of your surroundings all the time. Steve!

Quote Originally Posted by hawk-i View Post
    You'll know when the time comes, there won't be any doubt in your mind! Normally you can run them off...if they try to run you off, BANG!
    This is correct, trust me!

When a bear is charging you will have a threshold that is close enough. Turns out mine is 13y at a full charge.
    KCCO

You'll know when the time comes, there won't be any doubt in your mind! Normally you can run them off...if they try to run you off, BANG!
    agree 100%. I've had a handful of close encounters over the last 4 or 5 years. Only 2 had me reacting fast.

1. Last year we unknowingly walked up on a griz on a gutpile at last light at about 15 yards. Luckily for us, he ran back about 10 yards, stopped and watched us.
    I kept my gun on him while my partner grabbed my dog and gained some distance then I backed away. If this guy had of charged at us, I would have shot as we had just scared him off his dinner.

2. walked right onto a griz while approaching a stream crossing on the way out of a backpack goat hunt. Was around 20 yards when I saw him. He stood up on his back legs, woofed and ran the other way. My rifle was on my pack and no way I could have goy to it before he was on me (if he wanted).

3. have had a few others that were just really cool encounters (in hindsite ).

Real or bluff I couldn’t care less. If it isn’t going in the opposite direction as soon as we spot each other at close quarters it’s getting plugged. There’s too many god-dammed G-bears out there to take any chances and there is only one way they become scared of man. Flame all you want but I couldn’t give two craps what anyone else does or thinks.

would you really want to mess around with the likes of this
    not me

www.youtube.com/watch?v=kg5WC_FKrf0[/VIDEO]

^^^^^This.
    You will just know.

I've thought about this a lot, and considering how fast I am, how good a shot I am, and how much time there will be, I think the most realistic scenario is that I'll be shooting a grizzly in a self defence situation when it's knocked down my buddy and I have a fighting chance of manning up. I'd love a guarantee that in a charge I'll have plenty of time to set up and get ready, but I doubt that's something to count on.
    Rob Chipman
    "The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders" - Ed Abbey
    "Grown men do not need leaders" - also Ed Abbey

typically if a grizzly is working the same valley as i am i go hunt another valley..
    i have shot black bear in defense that was a exciting moment.
    you have to remember with bears you need to break bones or you will be shocked how much juice they can still have in them.

reasons while you can keep your knitting needle 6.5 cals

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    ^^^^^This.
    You will just know.
    The problem with that, is that the guys who know, will know. And the guys that are scared of bears, will always be scared of bears, and fear tends to cloud judgement.