Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: At what point would you shoot a grizzly/other predator in self defense?

Re: At what point would you shoot a grizzly/other predator in self defense?

When you have seen a bunch go from a stop to flat out, the ground covered, I know my safe distance has gone out farther. I have carried tags for just this reason.

Arrow Re: At what point would you shoot a grizzly/other predator in self defense?

I have killed five black bears and two grizzlies in self defense of myself and others.
    Each time I was investigated and cleared. Longest of those was when I was working for Alberta Fish & Wildlife (go figure).

Chit happens so damn FAST you simply function automatically.
    Afterwards it is tough to determine the whys and whats you actually accomplished.

No hard and fast rule really.
    When working for National Parks, the head of the Bear Response Team for the 4 mountain parks had a rule.
    20 yards or closer.
    Had occasion to watch a charging grizz stop just before that range while working with him.
    Also had occasion to watch one knock him over in it's dying efforts.
    Too close for me.

Being able to "read" their intent helps.
    Any that I have a bad feeling over, the gun is up and ready.

Be Safe.

Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Be very careful with warning shots.

21ft was the example I was taught where a person with a knife from a stand still can stab you before you can place an effective shot. Expand that to an already charging bear and a bolt action rifle, not much room for a warning shot...a bear traveling at full speed will cover 20 yards in a 1 second...good luck reloading, shouldering and effectively aiming at anything under a 100 yards. None of this includes the time it will take the bear to expire after an effective shot.

Your best offense is a good defence by taking initial precautions, some of which are impractical as hunters so don't let your gaurd down and make smart choices to avoid being vulnerable. Once you are in a position where you need to use self defence luck is going to play a big part in the outcome, so help yourself by making a decision earlier rather than later.

Lots of guys one here rail against bear spray as ineffective and what not, but regardless if you have a rifle or not having a can on your belt weighs nothing and gives you another option. As a bow hunter it is my primary deterrent.

Inside 100 yards and coming hard .... rifle is up and safety off. Inside 50 yards and still coming ... dead bear.
    VDD GROUP CANADA
    BCWF
    BIGSLAPPER OUTDOOR ADVENTURES est. 1963
    www.bigslapper.com

Quote Originally Posted by BiG Boar View Post
    Odds are you're probably not going to get a sheep anyways. So you want to at least enjoy your time on the mountain. But not sexually.

Have had bears and wolves within feet and cats with in inches, never felt had to shoot one yet.
    As you can see here with a couple of examples where guys have had bears running towards them
    when they had no gun and bears went by them , but both say if they had a gun they would have
    shot the bear. So one could think many of the bears shot were not actually charging or attacking
    as in the case of these couple stories. Seen a few different animals shot where people said it was
    attacking or stalking them yet they were shot broadside.

Interesting how so many say, if it crosses this distance, I plan to do bla bla bla!

If you are ever in a position like I found myself in, you can only react.

I was Bow hunting Elk in a place I had hunted for many years. sitting with my back against a tree, there was a slight depression in front of me with the breeze coming upslope in my face.
    I had been cow calling for about a half hour, trying to entice a Bull that was talking to me, didn't want to pack him out of the hole he was hiding in.
    In thinking back, the last thing I remember is thinking, what died...It smelled like rotten meat all of a sudden.
    The next thing I thought was " Oh F**K...He got ME!"
    He had me pinned against the tree and was partly on top of me. He wasn't moving and there was blood everywhere. It took a couple minutes to get away from under him and figure out it wasn't my blood! at least not much of it. My leg was cut from where he stepped on it and a stick off the tree had jabbed my back pretty bad.
    I couldn't have told you that day what exactly had happened, other than the Bear had a load of SSG that removed his face and a slug shot up from under his throat breaking his neck at the base of his skull.

The nightmares that followed finally filled in the details, The face appeared at about 10 feet, ears back in full charge. When I bow hunt by myself, I carry a 12ga defender, mag loaded with slugs and a SSG in the chamber.
    This time it saved my ass, when I smelled rotten meat, I instinctively picked up the defender out of my lap. When the face appeared at full charge, I pulled the trigger and caught him square in the face point blank...still don't remember the second shot that finished him.
    The scares, both physical and mental, are a constant reminder to be prepared and be aware of your surroundings because shit can go sideways real quick.
    Last edited by btridge; 05-26-2020 at 07:07 PM.

I have been charged by grizzlies at least 5 or 6 times over the years working at a guide in bc. Each situation has been different and thankfully I’ve yet to have to I’ll one. 3 times I’ve had time and distance to let off a warning shot(40-100yrds) and it’s worked. I once had a young adolescent boar back me and a client up 700 yards back to our vehicle. He was about 15 yrds when he surprised us but he never ran just matched our pace till the vehicle, then he heading into the timber. A couple times I was putting 3-4lbs pressure on my 6 lb trigger,

I have found with both species of bear the key is their ears. In general, ears back a bear is defending something( cubs/food) or they r afraid. Ears forward and they r curious or in predatory mode, either way bad news.

The one time I was charged by a grizzly i had no gun and no warning, I was out shed hunting with my head down searching for antlers and all of a sudden growling and willows moving and boom 40 yrds away a good sized bear was tearing up the ground coming straight at me, ears back. I knew I was dead, I just instinctively turned and started walking away quickly and never looked back. Personally, I believe it was a miracle but he stopped. I went back a week later and found he had an elk kill in the willow patch.
    I agree with most people’s thoughts, 50 yards or closer it’s kill shots only, unless u have a partner with a gun. It’s easy to say but key is to remain calm and make the shot count. Don’t rush a shot out of panic. Make it count!!

Quote Originally Posted by LBM View Post
    Have had bears and wolves within feet and cats with in inches, never felt had to shoot one yet.
    As you can see here with a couple of examples where guys have had bears running towards them
    when they had no gun and bears went by them , but both say if they had a gun they would have
    shot the bear. So one could think many of the bears shot were not actually charging or attacking
    as in the case of these couple stories. Seen a few different animals shot where people said it was
    attacking or stalking them yet they were shot broadside.

Working in the Yukon,BC remote wilderness since '65 saw countless bears but was never charged. I always carried a 357 mag revolver but never had to use it. The crews were also issued rifles.

One of the survey party chiefs working for the same company was charged by a grizz while taking a drink from a mountain stream south of Hudson Hope. He killed the bear with his 44 mag revolver. He was untouched.

The grizz that charged us very quickly did an abrupt 90 deg turn immediately after we stood up from sitting position , yelling at the top of our lungs & arm waving only few feet away. My guess-he was around 800 lbs, & his tracks immense.

Had a long talk with GS & he concluded that the bear had the plan/intention of killing us.

Had my gun been with me I would have shot him during the charge at around 35 to 40 yards.

Remembering-the bear's head was low to the ground with his ears back & we could actually feel him running.

I would never shoot at a bear that is not charging-maybe a warning shot & a loud yell.
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by btridge View Post
    Interesting how so many say, if it crosses this distance, I plan to do bla bla bla!

I was Bow hunting Elk in a place I had hunted for many years. sitting with my back against a tree, there was a slight depression in front of me with the breeze coming upslope in my face.
    I had been cow calling for about a half hour, trying to entice a Bull that was talking to me, didn't want to pack him out of the hole he was hiding in.
    In thinking back, the last thing I remember is thinking, what died...It smelled like rotten meat all of a sudden.
    He had me pinned against the tree and was partly on top of me. He wasn't moving and there was blood everywhere. It took a couple minutes to get away from under him and figure out it wasn't my blood! at least not much of it. My leg was cut from where he stepped on it and a stick off the tree had jabbed my back pretty bad.
    I couldn't have told you that day what exactly had happened, other than the Bear had a load of SSG that removed his face and a slug shot up from under his throat breaking his neck at the base of his skull.

The nightmares that followed finally filled in the details, The face appeared at about 10 feet, ears back in full charge. When I bow hunt by myself, I carry a 12ga defender, mag loaded with slugs and a SSG in the chamber.
    This time it saved my ass, when I smelled rotten meat, I instinctively picked up the defender out of my lap. When the face appeared at full charge, I pulled the trigger and caught him square in the face point blank...still don't remember the second shot that finished him.
    The scares, both physical and mental, are a constant reminder to be prepared and be aware of your surroundings because shit can go sideways real quick.
    Shit now that's a story....glad you made it out of that one. Hard to believe you didnt get more seriously injured.

Quote Originally Posted by btridge View Post

Damn. I've read a lot of stories on here but that one gave me pause. Glad you're ok. I'd say you owe your instincts a drink or two.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?