Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: At what point would you shoot a grizzly/other predator in self defense?

Re: At what point would you shoot a grizzly/other predator in self defense?

Quote Originally Posted by Outbound View Post
    My chamber is empty in "cruiser ready". When prepping the gun, I dry fire it which unlocks the slide but I don't cycle the action, then load the magazine and leave the safety off. This means that I'm carrying it with an empty chamber but in order to fire I only need to rack the action to chamber a round and pull the trigger. Having the safety on makes zero difference if the chamber is empty.

Start at 30 seconds for the overview. Skip to 2:40 for how to set it up.

If you use a pump gun, I would also recommend learning the push-pull shotgun technique. You'll be able to get shots on target way faster and more accurately once you have it figured out. I've demonstrated this by shooting along side a friend who didn't know about it. I was shooting nearly twice as fast as he was.

Training, training, training. Always remember, people never rise to the occasion. They fall to the lowest level of their training. If you're cold, wet, and tired when a bear decides to charge are you going to be able to instinctively get rounds on target? I try to put at least 50 actual slugs down range each season. I shoot a few hundred rounds of birdshot and buckshot in order to build muscle memory. It really helps to have a target within your engagement range, hold the gun in your regular carry position and then have a buddy call out "bust 'im!" at random intervals. Practice getting the gun from carriage and into action over and over and over. You can even dry fire practice at home.
    Yeah I knew what you were getting at. I was agreeing with you. I just do the extra step of leaving the safety on. Just force of habit really.

Re: At what point would you shoot a grizzly/other predator in self defense?

They can be curious. Don’t get to trigger happy outside of 50 yards. Use caution and be aware. Try to get to understand their body language best you can.