Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: At what point would you shoot a grizzly/other predator in self defense?

Re: At what point would you shoot a grizzly/other predator in self defense?

[QUOTE=hunter1947;2177536]History tell it all from encounters I have watched many documentaries on grizzly bear encounters many of these documentaries whee from biologists the biologists state that most grizzly bears will have nothing to do with man kind and run away ,,only a low percentage of grizzlies will be a badass bear..[/QUOTE !

LOL and which ONE's will be the Bad Azz Bear's ? RJ

[QUOTE=REMINGTON JIM;2178696]
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    History tell it all from encounters I have watched many documentaries on grizzly bear encounters many of these documentaries whee from biologists the biologists state that most grizzly bears will have nothing to do with man kind and run away ,,only a low percentage of grizzlies will be a badass bear..[/QUOTE !

LOL and which ONE's will be the Bad Azz Bear's ? RJ
    A person will know this when its time to unload your defender or other ..
    Hunting Elk Is All About Finding Them ,If You Can't Find Them Keep Trying ..

I almost forgot about an incident my son and I had.
    We were hanging a tree stand a few days before the season opened, so lots of noise going on, when we hear something running and coming in fast. Grab the 12, can't see much because its thick with poplar, but its right there about 30ft away then it steps out of the thick bush and its a small black bear looking at us sideways and licking its lips.
    He slowly turned and then ran away, not sure what he thought he was going to do, he sure wasn't very big and we were looking for another bigger bear around (mother) but never saw one.

At 50 yards if a bear is acting aggressively, there's a round in the chamber and the safety is off as I back out if possible. I'll fire a warning shot if I can't get out of the area safely. If a bear starts charging from 30 yards, I start slinging lead. I put a slug into the dirt at the feet of an aggressive black bear from 40 yards. That changed his attitude and we went our separate ways. I have yet to need to use lethal force.

My bear defence gun which I carry when not hunting is a pump action 12 gauge. I carry it in "cruiser ready" mode; safety off, dry fired on an empty chamber, full mag tube. Under stress, I don't want to be fumbling for a little button safety. Fine motor skills break down when feces impact the air circulation device. Much easier to simply rack the action and have a round chambered, ready to fire.

awesome footage thanks for sharing that

Quote Originally Posted by decker9 View Post
    Last fall while sheep hunting, my gal and I had a curious grizzly come by camp 100 yards Once the video was recording, I had my rifle shouldered. I’m not sure how long I would have given (him?) if a charge started. He was 80-100 yards away, and agitated. My gut feeling is any type of charge would have gotten him in trouble.

https://youtu.be/8JMZlpotV1s

Quote Originally Posted by Outbound View Post
    At 50 yards if a bear is acting aggressively, there's a round in the chamber and the safety is off as I back out if possible. I'll fire a warning shot if I can't get out of the area safely. If a bear starts charging from 30 yards, I start slinging lead. I put a slug into the dirt at the feet of an aggressive black bear from 40 yards. That changed his attitude and we went our separate ways. I have yet to need to use lethal force.

My bear defence gun which I carry when not hunting is a pump action 12 gauge. I carry it in "cruiser ready" mode; safety off, dry fired on an empty chamber, full mag tube. Under stress, I don't want to be fumbling for a little button safety. Fine motor skills break down when feces impact the air circulation device. Much easier to simply rack the action and have a round chambered, ready to fire.
    I have done the same but I still leave the safety on but it's an easy safety to flip on the Moss 500. I know it will take extra time but I prefer an empty chamber for safety unless absolutely necessary.

Be mentally prepared to do what needs to be done. Prepare yourself for the off-chance it might happen and come to peace with what your decision will be in that time before it happens. Like many said you will know when the time comes to shoot, just make sure you dont waste a millisecond thinking about what you are about to do when it does, it may cost your life.
    "From Covid to Hitler in 16 posts. Not today folks"

“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.” ― George Orwell

Quakee Surpee Neekoo

Quote Originally Posted by whitlers View Post
    I have done the same but I still leave the safety on but it's an easy safety to flip on the Moss 500. I know it will take extra time but I prefer an empty chamber for safety unless absolutely necessary.
    My chamber is empty in "cruiser ready". When prepping the gun, I dry fire it which unlocks the slide but I don't cycle the action, then load the magazine and leave the safety off. This means that I'm carrying it with an empty chamber but in order to fire I only need to rack the action to chamber a round and pull the trigger. Having the safety on makes zero difference if the chamber is empty.

Start at 30 seconds for the overview. Skip to 2:40 for how to set it up.

If you use a pump gun, I would also recommend learning the push-pull shotgun technique. You'll be able to get shots on target way faster and more accurately once you have it figured out. I've demonstrated this by shooting along side a friend who didn't know about it. I was shooting nearly twice as fast as he was.

Training, training, training. Always remember, people never rise to the occasion. They fall to the lowest level of their training. If you're cold, wet, and tired when a bear decides to charge are you going to be able to instinctively get rounds on target? I try to put at least 50 actual slugs down range each season. I shoot a few hundred rounds of birdshot and buckshot in order to build muscle memory. It really helps to have a target within your engagement range, hold the gun in your regular carry position and then have a buddy call out "bust 'im!" at random intervals. Practice getting the gun from carriage and into action over and over and over. You can even dry fire practice at home.
    Last edited by Outbound; 06-03-2020 at 12:08 PM.

As other's have said, after spending time in the bush, you'll know when it's the moment. Having said that, we've had lots of bears and grizzlies under 20 yards and haven't ended the life of one yet. Most aggressive was a beautiful blonde gizz with brown paws. Charged 3 times to about 3 metres and stood looking at us. Closest was a black bear at about 2 ft. Maintaining your calm, don't turn your back, stay together, watch your wind, are all 'things' to consider and keep in mind to ensure you walk out safely. Last year, we bumped a sow with 3 cubs under 10 yards. We read her body language, pulled guns out of our packs and let her have the wind and worked our way away and around her. Worked out fine. Watch the body language.

I spend 8 months in the mountains and i have no idea on what grizzlies are going to do I do know this if any bear comes at me on a charge I won't let it get any closer then 40 yards then the lead flies.....
    Hunting Elk Is All About Finding Them ,If You Can't Find Them Keep Trying ..