Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: At what point would you shoot a grizzly/other predator in self defense?

Re: At what point would you shoot a grizzly/other predator in self defense?

I have had many grizzly encounters most of them have been when shed hunting so far so good only a few bluff charges the other 98% the grizzlies took off when they saw me ,,keep in mind that only 2% of all grizzlies that I have incounterd are badass bears..
    Hunting Elk Is All About Finding Them ,If You Can't Find Them Keep Trying ..

Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    keep in mind that only 2% of all grizzlies that I have incounterd are badass bears..
    How could you tell? Did they have tattoos and piercings? Ride Harleys?
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

Quote Originally Posted by Redthies View Post
    How could you tell? Did they have tattoos and piercings? Ride Harleys?
    History tell it all from encounters I have watched many documentaries on grizzly bear encounters many of these documentaries whee from biologists the biologists state that most grizzly bears will have nothing to do with man kind and run away ,,only a low percentage of grizzlies will be a badass bear..
    Last edited by hunter1947; 05-28-2020 at 05:10 AM.
    Hunting Elk Is All About Finding Them ,If You Can't Find Them Keep Trying ..

I don't think it is as simple as saying "if one is closer that XX yards, I'm shooting". Lots of variables to consider.
    Everyone's threshold for safety is different and it will be different in each and every situation. You will know when yours has been breached.

I talked to a guy that said he'd shoot a Grizzly if it comes closer than 40 yards. To this I say you should just stay out of Grizzly country.

If a predator makes me feel like I'm in danger, I'm shooting it. I'm not counting meters, I'm not waiting to see if it's a bluff, and I'm not doing warning shots.

I’ve had 2 close-ish encounters with grizzly bears over the last 20yrs. Both encounters ended well, one will the bear leaving as my friend yelled and swore at it and the other fled after a warning shot.
    Last fall the same friend sent me a live pic of 2 grizzlies @ 16yds. I sarcastically replied “ shoot them “......He later told me that they came in silent while he was hiding in a patch of timer cow calling. He heard a branch break and turned around to see the bears......he said that he completely froze and started yelling and never even thought about raising his rifle. Just the other night he told me that it shook him up enough that he might not hunt this fall.
    He said they weren’t acting aggressive but they obviously crossed his safe/comfortable distance.

If one charges me it’s dead no second thoughts. Period. Same with any animal or human for that matter. If someone comes at me with a knife theyre going down. I have had one person try to stab me and I broke his forearm. I was a security guard and he tried to press charges. Let’s just say it didn’t happen. But for me personally if mine or my families life is in danger and it’s me or them it ain’t going to be me.

I been closer to 3 grizzlys than I wanted to be. once I was cooking on the tale gate of the truck and one walked up the far side of the road from me. about 40 yds. The next time was the next day and one walked up beside my truck while I was cooking, I could have smacked on the nose with the fry pan. But as soon as it seen me it left a lot of tore up ground leaving. #3 was over in Bella Coola on just ambled across the road in front of me.

Now more than ever we must be prepared for a grizz attack.
    With no grizz hunt to control their numbers that are steadily climbing, they have less fear of man hence increasing the odds of people getting charged.

Why do you think that the grizzly bears were eliminated from 98% of their original range in the western US from 1850 to 1950 by European settlers ? A main reason was because of a threat to human safety.

As GS(Gary Shelton) said - bear populations are surging, and attacks on people are becoming more frequent.
    Basing his findings on official reports and anecdotal evidence from forestry workers in British Columbia, Shelton believes bears are becoming bolder and more aggressive in their responses to humans.
    He goes so far as to say black bears and grizzly bears are starting to attack humans as prey.
    "It's not a circumstance where a bear is defending space, cubs or food," … "This is where a bear decides a human is food. The bear follows and tries to take the person down and kill them for food."
    GS advocates controlled hunting to promote fear of humans in the grizz population.
    Bear Predatory Behavior On Humans
    http://www.mainebearbasics.com/bear_..._on_humans.php

story updated
    5 students were warned not to proceed along the trail because of an aggressive bear. They didn’t heed the warning & one of the group was attacked, killed & eaten.
    http://www.mainebearbasics.com/fatal...ack_update.php

“People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

When they drop that head, tense up and glare at you they mean business. If they see you from a distance and start slowly coming at you head down and keeping their eye on you beware. If you surprise them then it's fast and furious and you best have your rifle loaded and ready with one in the chamber. I shot a black bear before at about 20 yards that I watched stalk me up a hill..sniffing my trail. he knew what he was tracking. He got close enough and I plugged him. Wasn't a charge but sure as hell he was stalking me.