Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: At what point would you shoot a grizzly/other predator in self defense?

Hybrid View

At what point would you shoot a grizzly/other predator in self defense?

My father and I are planning a backpack hunting trip into northern BC this summer/fall. It is my understanding that shooting a grizzly (for example) if it is threatening your life is legal, however I want to ask the more experienced guys on here at what point would you actually kill a grizzly in self defense? What kind of run ins with these bears are common, and at what point does it become really threatening? If you are close to a bear, how do you stay safe? Personal stories are welcome! I just want to have a good gameplan for what to do when you encounter a bear, and at what point other hunters would be forced to protect themselves. I have a feeling with the exploding grizzly populations and no population management (Thanks Premier Horgan!) these encounters will only become more and more common, so let me know what you guys think.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: At what point would you shoot a grizzly/other predator in self defense?

You'll know when the time comes, there won't be any doubt in your mind! Normally you can run them off...if they try to run you off, BANG!

Quote Originally Posted by hawk-i View Post
    You'll know when the time comes, there won't be any doubt in your mind! Normally you can run them off...if they try to run you off, BANG!
    I think this accurate. You will just know.

Bears aren't very good at hiding their intent. Predatory attacks are pretty obvious. If a bear is following you or getting closer to you in a round-a-bout way, that's an obvious one.

Defensive attacks will come with less warning. You might have 10 seconds or you might have 1 second. I'm not going to "wait" to see if it is a bluff charge.

In the case of the predatory attack coming a long way out I would still try my best to scare it off or just leave the area. If it continued my threshold would be around 40-50 yards (that's only a couple seconds if it goes from stalking to running) I would also make the effort to shoot it head on. I would like for the CO's job to be easy and for me not to be under any suspicion or scrutiny. If I can show it was following me, that it was facing me, that it was within 50 yards it's a done deal. If I can demonstrate those 3 things, I don't think there would be any scrutiny. If one of those 3 things was off (further than 50 yards, double lung shot, no evidence of following) then I would expect more scrutiny.

Out of all our bear encounters so far, I have only been charged once. It was dry out, so the snapping and cracking gave me advanced warning. I only had bear spray. I did not actually have to use it (the bear stopped wear I was standing when the charge started and he was huffing and stomping and the wind was in my face) If I had a rifle I probably would have shot him that day. There was enough fear and reason to shoot as a precaution.

And only ever had a couple bears act creepy/stalky (one was the above mentioned bear on a couple other occasions... ended up cutting a tag on it after a couple years of BS) and the others just seemed to check me out, size me up and walk away.

I really think "you will know when the time comes" is the best answer. That is my experience with black bears. I don't know anything about grizzlies but figure the same rule applies.

As for cougars, any amount of following I would shoot. I always have a tag and they are open most of the year.
    Last edited by caddisguy; 05-24-2020 at 05:24 PM.

This is correct, trust me!

When a bear is charging you will have a threshold that is close enough. Turns out mine is 13y at a full charge.
    KCCO

agree 100%. I've had a handful of close encounters over the last 4 or 5 years. Only 2 had me reacting fast.

1. Last year we unknowingly walked up on a griz on a gutpile at last light at about 15 yards. Luckily for us, he ran back about 10 yards, stopped and watched us.
    I kept my gun on him while my partner grabbed my dog and gained some distance then I backed away. If this guy had of charged at us, I would have shot as we had just scared him off his dinner.

2. walked right onto a griz while approaching a stream crossing on the way out of a backpack goat hunt. Was around 20 yards when I saw him. He stood up on his back legs, woofed and ran the other way. My rifle was on my pack and no way I could have goy to it before he was on me (if he wanted).

3. have had a few others that were just really cool encounters (in hindsite ).

^^^^^This.
    You will just know.

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    ^^^^^This.
    You will just know.
    The problem with that, is that the guys who know, will know. And the guys that are scared of bears, will always be scared of bears, and fear tends to cloud judgement.

Quote Originally Posted by KodiakHntr View Post
    The problem with that, is that the guys who know, will know. And the guys that are scared of bears, will always be scared of bears, and fear tends to cloud judgement.
    The problem with that is not all G-bears know the rules. You could have many close encounters where a bear bluff-charges you and then stops short. Encounters like that would caused a person to think they know an animals behaviour when in fact they only have an understanding of the behaviour of those bears they ran into. Things happen fast and a Grizzly at full charge moves very fast. Most people think they will react all calm and cool but in reality they don’t.

A partner and I were charged by one 20 years ago at around a hundred feet. My partner turned and ran, while I stood my ground and shot. The G-bear was at probably 40 feet when I fired and the gun came up and I shot as fast as humanly possible. My partner didn’t make it 20 feet when I shot. Would the bear of attacked or stopped short we will never know but why would anyone take a chance? Being scared had nothing to do with shooting but rest assured, I was scared. More so after the fact though once I processed what just went on.

Remember Timothy Tastewell? He thought he understood G-bears pretty good and put himself around them all the time. Then he ran into one that decided to eat him and his partner. Some would say it was a freak incident but in reality he was just playing the odds and he ended up losing.

At the end of the day do whatever floats your boat. I’m going to shoot every time and not leave things to chance.

Most I have come upon have run off. But they didn't have cubs or a freshly killed animal there. A charge inside 20 yards it dies. They can cover 13 yards in 3 seconds. And your gun better be loaded and safety on when the charge is happening. You do not have time to put one in the chamber during the 3 seconds and shoot it accurately. I live amongst 7 or 8 grizzly. A sow just had 2 cubs and is walking down the road with them. Be bear prepared don't hesitate.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

Quote Originally Posted by tigrr View Post
    A charge inside 20 yards it dies. They can cover 13 yards in 3 seconds. And your gun better be loaded and safety on when the charge is happening. You do not have time to put one in the chamber during the 3 seconds and shoot it accurately. I live amongst 7 or 8 grizzly.

I’m gonna go ahead and point out that typo. It doesn’t take 3 seconds for any bear to cover 13 yards.

Personally, any grizz inside 50 yards is taking its life in its paws. Make an aggressive movement and close to 30 and thats my max comfort zone for an aggressive bear.