Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Predator calling for bears

Predator calling for bears

So spent long weekend hunting bears and had a great timewith some buddies. It was exactly what I needed after a long winter dealingwith my separation. Getting divorced is something I wouldn’t wish on my worstenemy. Anyway enough of that and on to the hunt...

I have read that predator calling works for bears, butreally have never tried it until this past weekend. After spotting a smallbrown/blond phased black bear we worked our way over to where he last went inhopes of finding a larger chocolate we saw from night before. We set up and Itold my buddy to get ready. Now honking on them predator calls in this case arabbit distress call is hard on the ears...lol. I called for half a minute andno sooner had I put the call down I spotted this bear running right at us. Hestopped 50 yards from us and jumped up on a boulder and just looked around.After a good five minutes he caught our wind a bolted away. Very cool! ThoughtI would let others know this method works, but have your head on a swivel.

A bear I maybe should have shot:

Had a great hunt and passed on several bears...being toopicky I guess.
    Live to Hunt...

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Predator calling for bears

Nice! Yeah I’ve had good results with predator calls. Actually had a gorgeous cinnamon coloured bear booking it away from me and turned it around using a pred call. Got it to within 20 yards.

and yeah, head on a swivel for sure and don’t do it in dense bush lol. Stupidly did that on an overgrown alder trail, bear stuck his head out of the bush at 6 yards.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattler View Post
    So spent long weekend hunting bears and had a great timewith some buddies. It was exactly what I needed after a long winter dealingwith my separation. Getting divorced is something I wouldn’t wish on my worstenemy. Anyway enough of that and on to the hunt...

I have read that predator calling works for bears, butreally have never tried it until this past weekend. After spotting a smallbrown/blond phased black bear we worked our way over to where he last went inhopes of finding a larger chocolate we saw from night before. We set up and Itold my buddy to get ready. Now honking on them predator calls in this case arabbit distress call is hard on the ears...lol. I called for half a minute andno sooner had I put the call down I spotted this bear running right at us. Hestopped 50 yards from us and jumped up on a boulder and just looked around.After a good five minutes he caught our wind a bolted away. Very cool! ThoughtI would let others know this method works, but have your head on a swivel.

A bear I maybe should have shot:

Had a great hunt and passed on several bears...being toopicky I guess.
    yeah you shoulda shot him...but...im not as picky...just want some bear burger.....bear burger goooood...
    -Lightweight gunaholic
    -Half of a Human Pinata
    -Bear Kung-Fu Master
    -Gatherer of the Elk meat

Oh hot damn callin bears is fun. Stand up, dont sit. Cold calling works, just find fresh poop and start wailing away. You probably wont see 2/3 bears as those 2/3 will sneak in real close and figure out whats makin the racket, the 1/3 will literally just run right up to you. Shot my last called bear at 5 yds.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattler View Post
    ThoughtI would let others know this method works, but have your head on a swivel.
    Yes sir, it does work very well and yes, keep your head on a swivel! I almost was eaten by a grizzly bear once using this method (fawn bleat call) and shot it at 7 yards just after it leapt over a snowbank into view.
    Funny enough I just used one of his teeth to finish a necklace up today.
    Twist and pull.

Are you using electric calls?

I try calling a little bit here and there. Sometimes I'll blow on a piece of grass, or fawn distress call (sounds like all kinds of critter distress)

I've had does run up to me more than anything, but one time I did have a big old boar show up about 20 mins later. Not sure if it was from the call or not, but I always thought it was more than a coincidence.

Sounds like there can be some excitement and effectiveness in calling for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by S.W.A.T. View Post
    Are you using electric calls?
    Most will know but some won't that electronic calls are Taboo in BC. FYI

I've had good success calling bears out I didn't even know were there, and others come running like a race house, both towards me and away LOL
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

Quote Originally Posted by Steeleco View Post
    Most will know but some won't that electronic calls are Taboo in BC. FYI

I've had good success calling bears out I didn't even know were there, and others come running like a race house, both towards me and away LOL
    I understand that electric calls are illegal in BC for hunting purposes. That's why I posed the question. I have never thought of calling for bears. I find it very difficult to mimic predator calls.

Quote Originally Posted by Steeleco View Post

Yep. I spend most of my bear hunting spotting, driving to another cut, spotting and repeat. If I dont find a bear while spotting, before moving on I always let out a call with my bear buster if its a huge area, or an whiny calf elk (primos ivory plate) call if a smaller area.

I started doing this for spring black bears after I acidentally got a Griz to stand up and reveal himself while blind calling up a slide for elk.

Ive since used a call many times and got a spring black bear that had remained out of sight to reveal himself in one way or another.

And dont forget to look behind you!!!!
    Last edited by Ron.C; 05-21-2020 at 11:18 AM.