Thread: acre and a bit of pond for fish farm

acre and a bit of pond for fish farm

Hello
    I have a large pond and applied to the DFO for aquaculture fishing form and stuff and i applied for brook trout and/or rainbow trout to raise. It appears that i wont be able to get brook trout because there are no hatcheries in the area that sell brook trout fingerlings. So looks like i may go with rainbow trout. I dont have a stream but i have a 6800GPH pump that im going to get working with a 1 inch outlet hose - not sure if i can pour some large gravel i have in the back and simulate a stream or something for them with that pump or if the flow would be not strong enough? Also i am willing to go with other salmon type fish if there are hatcheries near the lower mainland area if they work in the freshwater pond environment - especially if they eat plants.

any thoughts or suggestions?
    thanks!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: acre and a bit of pond for fish farm

I always had this though (more of a dream really), on how to design a self sustaining trout producing stream.
    You have to have a lake and build a stream bed at an incline.
    You have to have a turbine at the bottom of the stream to generate power for the pump that would take the lake water and pump it at the head of the stream(really a spawning bed).
    That might induce trout to go upstream and spawn. Enough oxygen etc.
    That spawning bed would have to be protected from predators with a net.
    It would be nice if the system produced enough power to keep itself going and could be supplemented with solar panels to be useful for remote lakes.

Right now we have to baby sit all these lakes that have no way to get trout to reproduce.
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

Re: acre and a bit of pond for fish farm

Quote Originally Posted by adriaticum View Post
    I always had this though (more of a dream really), on how to design a self sustaining trout producing stream.
    You have to have a lake and build a stream bed at an incline.
    You have to have a turbine at the bottom of the stream to generate power for the pump that would take the lake water and pump it at the head of the stream(really a spawning bed).
    That might induce trout to go upstream and spawn. Enough oxygen etc.
    That spawning bed would have to be protected from predators with a net.
    It would be nice if the system produced enough power to keep itself going and could be supplemented with solar panels to be useful for remote lakes.

Right now we have to baby sit all these lakes that have no way to get trout to reproduce.

ah that's a good idea - a blower would simulate some sort of current - and i guess they like to go upstrteam.... so putting it at the bottom makes sense...so if i can find some sort of water blower that can generate current that would do it. Gotta look around to see if they exist. thanks!