Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: One hog of a bear down, and Landphil’s loosing streak is over...

One hog of a bear down, and Landphil’s losing streak is over...

Thanks to my shift work, I had today, err, make that yesterday, off work. With decent weather, it was a toss-up between going bear hunting or fishing as I planned out my day. Starting out the morning with a bad case of “I no wannas” didn’t help, and since loading the quad is easier than loading a boat, motor, and all the other gear, laziness won out and bear hunting was the choice. But hey, let’s be realistic. A quad ride is about all I was going for, lower some stress levels and be socially distant. I’ve hunted my butt off the last few years, but haven’t cut a tag since 2014 IIRC. Some times my fault, some times crappy circumstances. Why would today (oh wait, that’s yesterday now) be any different?

I decided to try a new area along some power lines that are growing nice green grass, and within a half hour of leaving the truck I spotted a distant bear while glassing...
    Last edited by landphil; 05-20-2020 at 09:27 AM.
    Pretend hunter.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: One hog of a bear down, and Landphil’s losing streak is over...

Lone bear, no cubs in sight, wind in my favour. Gotta like that. Rough guess is that it was 1.5 km away, so I closed a bunch of that distance on the quad, and started hiking. The more I hiked, the further it looked, and due to terrain I’d lost sight of the beast.

Then I discovered a large gully between here and there and no direct trail, so I headed back to the bike to make quicker work of things. A check of the map showed a road that zig-zagged away from the hydro lines and joined up on the other side of the gully. That turned out to be a bust, thanks to a large washout. All other routes to were I wanted to go were a significant detour via the main road. I’d pretty much made up my mind to hunt where I was, and leave that bear alone, but a couple fun-loving guys came roaring through on sporty, loud ORV’s, drifting the corners... Not going to find a bear with them around.

I ripped back to my truck, loaded the quad, made the detour, unloaded again, and found my way to the transmission line once again. It didn’t take long to find a heap of crap that made my boot look small, but no bear where I’d seen it.

But at least it was peaceful on that side, and I decided to find a vantage point and eat my Subway supper. Ha. Or so I thought. Took all of 30 seconds to spot fur, a loner, lazy, as he lay in the grass, scooting himself along on his belly as he ate.

Wind check. Mostly good, but a bit of swirling. Range check. He’s out about 550 yds. I make a plan of attack, and put the boots to work. 350 yds. Getting better. Still wanting a better angle, and closer is gooder, right? Now down to 190 yds. Decent angle, nice dirt bank to set the bipod on. I calm down, rifle is steady, but remember when I said he was a lazy bear? Yup, he’s laying down, feeding in circles. No boiler room opportunity. I briefly consider a head shot, but no. He finally stands up, but guess what? He’s facing straight away from me, and yup, lying down again. He’s a decent size, that’s becoming apparent. The wait goes on, he’s oblivious to me, so... And then it happens, he’s up, turns broadside, the Savage .338WM barks, sending the 250gr Accubond for a quick visit...
    Last edited by landphil; 05-21-2020 at 09:33 AM.
    Pretend hunter.

Re: One hog of a bear down, and Landphil’s losing streak is over...

He bolts for the trees, and I can already tell it’s thick, nasty stuff. He looked like he was hit as he made the two hurried strides out of sight. I take note of the reference points of where he ducked for cover, texted my wife and my buddy, retrieved the quad. I can get it right down to where he was, that’s good. 20 minutes has passed, and daylight is waisting by now, as I pulled the trigger at 8:15 PM

Time to go looking. I found his “burnout” marks from heavy acceleration, giving away the angle he went, and after a few moments of careful bushwhacking, there he is
    20 yds away.

A few minutes with the axe and I’ve got a trail brushed out, and dragged him to within reach of the quad.

He was tough to load solo - I cut a couple poles as ramps onto the rear rack, and although they were a very shallow angle it was all I could do to roll him onto the rack. I got home about midnight, and by 3:38 AM (I thought it was funny) all the meat was off the carcass and cooling.

Last edited by landphil; 05-21-2020 at 09:36 AM.
    Pretend hunter.

Re: One hog of a bear down, and Landphil’s loosing streak is over...

Good on ya....looking forward to the rest...

I hope it doesn't take that long to process the meat. The edge of this seat you now have me perched on is not that comfortable. Sitting by for "the rest of the story".

Great to hear, lets see that bruiser...
    "From Covid to Hitler in 16 posts. Not today folks"

“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.” ― George Orwell

Quakee Surpee Neekoo

Looking forward to the story!

Quote Originally Posted by landphil View Post
    To be continued...
    BasT*ad lol RJ

Quote Originally Posted by REMINGTON JIM View Post
    BasT*ad lol RJ
    Meanie! I’m telling...
    Pretend hunter.

Part 2 and 3 are up.
    Last edited by landphil; 05-20-2020 at 09:04 PM.
    Pretend hunter.