Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Brambles 2019 Elk Season

Brambles 2019 Elk Season

To say 2019 Elk season was a challenge would be an understatement.

Anticipation was high as I had prepped all year for a sheep hunt and was lean and mean (Covid has since fixed that). I spend quite a few days cutting trails into places we have hunted before as well as some new places. Countless hours on the brush saw and chain saw, also learning the importance of carrying a spare chain to your chainsaw when your 4km back on a trail and your chain gets pinched in a tree.....doh. This ordeal actually happened 3 times over the spring/summer and was getting old....slow learner I guess.

-Lightweight gunaholic
    -Half of a Human Pinata
    -Bear Kung-Fu Master
    -Gatherer of the Elk meat

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Brambles 2019 Elk Season

Last half of archery season and the 1st week of rifle season were really good. Bugles every day but couldn't connect. In fact I was on one bull with my brother and we had this bull absolutely pissed off and coming in hard, problem was darkness was setting in faster and we ran out of daylight before we could seal the deal.

The next morning we found ourselves on the same mountain trying to locate the bull before heading into the heavy timber after him. The bull never gave away his position so we started up the mountain to where he was the evening before hoping he was bedded there. We take one step into the timber and BANG......BANG.

Our jaws dropped...we stand there a few minutes in disbelief and this older fella walks past us. He says my partner just shot a monster 8x8 that walked out onto the road... but it ran off into the timber after he shot it...I puked in my mouth a little bit.

A minute later and we see a vehicle coming from up the road and it was the shooter...he was understandably vibrating. He said the bull came out of the timber and stood on the road looking at where we were calling from, he took a 150yd offhand shot at it, hit it and it ran to the timber edge where he threw another shot at its head but missed....he had already called some more buddies to help look for it....we wished them luck and went on our way with heavy hearts broken spirit....

I heard later that they never found the bull after searching for it for a week so its likely still alive.
    Last edited by Brambles; 05-19-2020 at 11:00 AM.
    -Lightweight gunaholic
    -Half of a Human Pinata
    -Bear Kung-Fu Master

One day I head out solo and find an elk held up in a shithole. He was screaming his head off but wouldn't come in, as I'm set up I hear noises from below me....the bull is still bugling in the distance so its not him.

I catch a glimpse of a tan body about 100 yds below me walk in behind some trees, it was an elk advancing on my position quietly but couldnt see it from its angle of approach. I get set up and about 80 yards away I start to see movement between the tree's. Still no confirmation it is a bull.

After a few more seconds I feel the wind swirl. The elk whirls and runs to my left across a shooting lane, it was a bull with a reasonable frame but no time to count or shoot....

With the wind changing I pull out. The bigger bull had gone quiet too and I didn't want him to wind me as well.

I decide to hike up higher on the mountain to see if I can see into the basin from other locations.

Glassing what I could I find a bull bedded in some deadfall about 800 yards away, he's alone and looks to be a few hundred meters away from where I was working the other bulls. He was a decent sized 5x5 so he was off the hit list but there were other bulls down there that just couldn't bee seen, I'll be back!!!

After snapping some pics I pull out and check some other spots and make a plan for the next AM.
    Last edited by Brambles; 05-19-2020 at 11:44 AM.
    -Lightweight gunaholic
    -Half of a Human Pinata
    -Bear Kung-Fu Master

I call Rattler and tell him I got bulls located and make a plan for the AM.

We hike up and into the basin and start calling...sure enough the bull torches off. I call back and forth but he wont budge, he sounds good...likely has cows.

Sitting there glassing all of a sudden we hear from BEHIND us a loud GRRUuummpph. We are in tall Rhodo, and slowly stand and turn.

With velvet slippers this fella snuck through the deadfall and rhodo and was now 20ish yards away..amazing how quiet he was...he eventually got to 6 yards.

After he started walking away and about 30 yds away I decided it would be a good idea to grunt at him....NOT a good decision...he came running back in to 6 yards and had us grabbing out rifles...thinking....oooohhh no this isn't gonna be fun explaining...

Luckily he finally realized what we were and slowly sauntered off.....oops

We head down into the basin further and Rattler says...I see some cows across the basin...

The bulls gotta be close, we can hear him bugling but he's
    obstructed....finally he starts to show himself.....here we goo....how big is this monster heard bull held up in this shitty basin..????

FAACCCCKKK..ITS THAT GADDAMN 5 POINT....
    Last edited by Brambles; 05-20-2020 at 07:13 PM.
    -Lightweight gunaholic
    -Half of a Human Pinata
    -Bear Kung-Fu Master

Starting around the second week of rifle season the weather turns snotty, foggy, wet and cold. Rain gear and damp boots every day.

As the rut starts to rev up...soo does the full moon. We get mid day bugles most days but they will only torch off once or twice and never get fired up...the ones we find that will call back repeatedly are on the move and likely chasing cows and we couldn't keep up or head them off successfully.

The days drag on as we go through the paces.

Often while we are waiting out the rain, waiting for wind to switch or fog to lift...bush naps will happen...

Spruce tree's are the best for dry naps FYI.
    Last edited by Brambles; 05-19-2020 at 12:35 PM.
    -Lightweight gunaholic
    -Half of a Human Pinata
    -Bear Kung-Fu Master

After hiking into a spot with Rattler we are sitting down having a mid day snack.

After sitting there for probably an hour, doing some intermittent calling, Rattler says....Did you hear that?
    -Lightweight gunaholic
    -Half of a Human Pinata
    -Bear Kung-Fu Master

I say NO, what did you hear....he said he thought he heard an elk bugle in the distance...

I let a rip go and sure enough, got a response.

A few more back and forth an he's coming fast.

Rattler sets up and I peel off into the dense brush to continue calling.

I do my best....cow calling, bugling, raking and the bull is closing in fast and going nuts.

Rattlers got a good 80 yard shot window and I'm at least 50 yards behind him...bull sounds less than 100yds from me but being as im in the thick bush I can't see whats going on...

I'm super excited and can't wait for the magical sound of a rifle shot...
    -Lightweight gunaholic
    -Half of a Human Pinata
    -Bear Kung-Fu Master

Anticipation is off the charts...what is HAPPENING.

Then I hear an Elk running towards me...gets to 20 yards and runs I to a window I can see him through. I alarm bark and he stops immediately.

Damn 5 point, walked in front of Rattler at 4 yards.

I played around with him For 5 minutes examining his bases and antlers for an extra point...but he was clean.

Go grow up little friend...

Last edited by Brambles; 05-19-2020 at 12:20 PM.
    -Lightweight gunaholic
    -Half of a Human Pinata
    -Bear Kung-Fu Master

As more days come and go, I called in 2 more moose and it seemed like 5 points were in abundance.

As we get into October I'm looking forward to seeing the second estrus starting. I do some quick math, check the calender....DAMN...second rut falls on the full moon too....

Bugles are far and few between and days grind away.
    Last edited by Brambles; 05-20-2020 at 07:15 PM.
    -Lightweight gunaholic
    -Half of a Human Pinata
    -Bear Kung-Fu Master

Well done on the story and pics so far (or is there more?)...you would have sealed the deal if you were lucky enough to count 6 on one antler on two occasions, so that is a success...lol too bad the bull moose wasn't legal where you were, though it looks like that would have been a miserable pack out...