Thread: Prophet River/Sleeping Chief Area?

Prophet River/Sleeping Chief Area?

Hello all,

Wondering if anyone has any experience on the Prophet River and/or Bat Creek or anything in that general area at the top of 7-42, west of Trutch. Out towards sleeping chief.

It sure looks navigable by boat, on paper. But I’ve made that mistake before.

I put in for goat, elk and caribou but I’m wondering if I was being a little optimistic about the access west of the prophet.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Prophet River/Sleeping Chief Area?

Been more than 10 years but used to trail horses up Bat creek, trail was hard to find along the prophet but went up the river a ways (there is an small outfitter cabin, most of the way to the mountains, you can see it on satellite maps). Was on horses in July when we crossed the prophet but usually we were swimming them across. Was not paying much attention to how much water there was on bat compared to what a boat needs. Trail was blazed only going out. Once we hit the mountains at that time there were game, saw some goats from the trail. Again we were moving horses and not hunting. I also know things have changed up in that country in regards to game numbers compared to 10 years ago.
    I am all for helping those who want to get after it. Lots of effort anytime you venture into the north country.
    "It's not a sport, it's a way of life. Enjoy every moment and every moment is a reward. Taking an animal is the objective but pleasure is found in the entire experience." - J_T

There are falls that you can't get over closer to the end of the prophet. You can't jet boat up it from what I learned in my research. I stand to be corrected though, its horse or plane only essentially.
    WSSBC Monarch
    WSF Life Member
    2% Certified
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member

Good info, thanks to both of you.

I see the trail on my map, looks like it could provide access to the river, at least. I guess the only way to figure it out is to lug a boat down to the river and see where you can get to in it.

I hunted in sleeping chief 2 years ago. You can pm me if you want.

Will do! Thank you!

I think the location where you cant get a boat up the prophet is down from the besa/prophet confluence. Someone might be able to tell you if you can access that first set of foothills but no where near sleeping chief or the outfitters places by the landing strip. Your best bet for accessing those mountains by boat is go up the muskwa then hike south. Lots of sheep! Up prophet is generally difficult access or i would be up there more lol

I was up there in 2019 and went with Double A Packers, he can get you right into kravac creek just south of sleeping chief.
    Last edited by Jrax; 05-20-2020 at 11:26 AM.

Good info, thanks Jrax. On the maps it looks like you could drive up and toss a boat in at about where Deathseda creek hits the prophet and then run it up to Bat creek and maybe get a little ways up Bat too. Or go past a bit to Milliken Creek.

Did consider the Muskwa, but I’m spoiled and like to sleep in my camper.

i guess I’ll have to wait and see what I draw, if anything. I imagine I won’t find a goat that far from the mountain, but an elk cow or maybe a caribou I imagine would be possible.

I don't jetboat so take this with a grain of salt, but judging from the activity on other big rivers in the area I'm pretty sure there would be far more people on the Prophet if it were navigable.
    WSSBC Monarch Silver Member
    WSF Summit Life Member
    RMGA Life Member

The mountains are calling and I must go - John Muir

That was sorta what I figured, too. But since I’m looking at a pretty short stretch and not trying to run the whole thing maybe there’s a way.

The river we hunt in PG is much smaller and requires some dragging of boats here and there which seems to be enough to keep most folks away.