Thread: Kokanee tips and tricks?

Kokanee tips and tricks?

I seem to recall a similar thread a while back but I can't find it anywhere.

My cabin sits on a quiet lake just outside Lillooet. I don't see many boats, so not much fishing pressure. In the fall there seems to be a healthy Kokanee spawn so I'd like to devote some time this summer to chasing them.

I have a 14' jon with an electric motor, light spinning tackle and a light fly rod.

I'd appreciate advice from the experienced fishermen-- how to target these fish.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Kokanee tips and tricks?

https://www.bcfishn.com/kokanee-fishing-101/
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_A9FwHCKjig

any lake troll with a snubber tipped with a pink or red wedding band worked for me trolling in s patters. They have soft mouths which is why you need a snubber on the trolling/flashers set up. They are great smoked or on the bbq fresh.

Second a wedding band with worm, they will smash it once you find them
    I like drinking beer and whiskey, shooting guns, jetboating, love a nice rack and a tight line, I am simply a sophisticated redneck...

How do you find the right depth? I don’t have downriggers. Just experiment with various weights on the line?
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

Different weights and count out how many pulls of line off the reel you put out.

If you want to use your fly rod, it's been a long while since I used this method but it works, drifting with a slime line (intermediate sink) and a #14 mini leech in red or burgundy (with a little flash) on a light fly rod is great for koks.

I have a canvas top on my boat that acts like a mini sail so you might have to row ever so slightly to get your line down and out behind you. You might have to row faster to get a type 3 to trail behind you. Kokanee can be caught with your line down only about 8 to 10 feet. If I remember correctly about 40-50 pulls off your reel does the trick.

And the added bonus of no motor noise is relaxing, and won't kill your battery .
    Finland is a neutral country - but the guns point to the east.

they are typically shallow until july like less than 15-20feet.

then deeper lots of times i can see my gear behind the boat.

Sorry, you can't catch a kokanee no matter what you do.

But if you try cured shrimp who knows.
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

We have lots of helpful tips and trick in our Facebook group. Search out our group at Kokanee Fishing BC. We are a public group so no need to join the group unless you want to ask questions. All the information you need and more is there.

Also, we have a youtube channel called Fougere Family Adventures that might be of some help to you. I have lots of kokanee fishing videos there and some how to videos as well. I hope this helps you. Here's the link to our channel.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDP..._as=subscriber