Thread: west kootenay newbie

Wink west kootenay newbie

Hey everyone!

been wanting to get into hunting last couple years, as a lot of my buddies around here are avid hunters. One of them put it as "Camping with a purpose" hahaha

Got my PAL, and trying to figure out how to get my CORE now. Im okay with the online course, but the examination in person is where it gets tricky because they leave it up to the examiner wether they do exams or not. Frustrating

But, what I really came here for was a little direction. First hunting rifle time is coming quickly....2 weeks I'll have my pennies pinched for it lol Now, I get that this industry is a "get what you pay for" scene, but I don't really want to drop $800-$1000 on just a rifle....lots of other goodies to get still to (thankfully my buddies are offering hand-me-downs on almost everything).

Narrowed it down to a few possible choices, lowest price point first. Savage Axis, Remington 783 Heavy Barrel, or Winchester XPR combo with scope. I've read until my eyes hurt, and the Remington seems to impress seasoned hunters as well as first timers. Just wanted to pick brains and see what the real ones out here think. Oh hell....Calibre is .308 because good punch, effective range, and economic to shoot.

Thanks!!!!!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: west kootenay newbie

First off welcome. Second, you can find a lightly used rifle that is higher quality than the savage or Remington you’ve mentioned for close to the same price. Look for Weatherby Vanguards, Howa 1500’s, Husqvarnas etc to name a few. Same goes for scopes, you can find decent used glass for a hundred or more less than brand new and they all have no questions asked warranty’s don’t a used scope is not as risky as they used to be.

Good call in the 308. Will get the job done.

I agree that there is no need to buy a new rifle.
    Townpost, gunpost, Canadian gun nutz and this forum will give you a good selection.

If you have your hear set on new this site has some great sponsors that would get you set up at a good price.

I personally bought new the first and second time. Third time was a used tikka 308 sythetic/stainless for 800.

Nothing wrong with picking up used equipment on one of the forums mentioned. Most guys that are active on this site would be honest and fair when selling gear whether you agree or disagree with their opinions. Shiny and new doesn't mean good.

308 like the old 303's and 30-30's have probably killed more game than all combined. I think the 308 is a very capable round of taking anything you will come across including moose. The guy's at Valley Firearms in Trail have an adequate selection of new.
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check
    Made payable for an amount of 'up to
    and including my life'. That is Honor, and there are way too many people
    in This country who no longer understand it.'
    You only walk this Earth once,
    make sure your tracks are deep.

Welcome. If you do go with the Remington don't get the heavy barrel! You will not enjoy lugging that thing up the west kootenay mountains. I'd look for used. Remington model 700, Winchester model 70, Tikka T3, Sako A7 to name a few. 308 is a good cartridge choice, but don't get too hung up on caliber when looking at used. I'd be open to any 6.5, 7mm, or 30cal if the price is right. Stonechaser has a nice Rem 700 XCR in 30-06 in the for sale section, looks like a decent price.
    Last edited by koothunter; 05-15-2020 at 06:45 AM.

wicked thanks for replies guys! Yeah the guys at Valley Firearms are super helpful, and make being a newb less intimidating lol

I'll check out the used section for sure, as well as the sponsors. Im fairly partial to new as it should give a good base to build on, learning how a firearm should operate and "feel" so when its time to dabble in used, I have a benchmark to follow.

I had an axis in .308, sold it,never shot all that great,I'd look for something used if buying my first rifle again

1st hunting rifle for me was used. Very well used if you get my drift. Still a good shooter. FN manufactured mauser action in 30-06 with an old Weaver K series scope. I have yet to bring an animal down, but I'm sure the rifle is up to the task. My hunting skills probably need some work....

Something in .22 calibre is a worthwhile investment as well, both for practice & smaller game. Other than the shotgun I purchased new way back in the 1980s for skeet shooting, a .22 is the only other firearm I purchased new.

Been jonesing for a lever action since I got into the hunting scene. Scored a nice used Browning BLR in 30-06 recently. It's pristine, honestly looks unfired. Close to twice the price for a new one vs what I paid. Nice to keep to the same calibre as the other rifle, keeps things simple wrt ammo.

By all means go new if that's your wish, but there are some fine firearms to be had on the used scene that are proven & have some history. They are often the benchmark by which new designs are measured.
    Last edited by mike31154; 05-15-2020 at 10:37 AM.

yeah .22 is soon going to be another purchase. fun for plinking or grouse, something wifey can learn to shoot without a lot of kick.