Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting Out With Children

Getting Out With Children

Do many of you get out into the outdoors-fishing, hunting, enjoying the wilderness-with children in tow? I was brought up with a Dad who brought me out every chance I would go with him. My husband isn’t as outdoorsy as I am used to and now that my children are getting older and I don’t have my hands as full of baby responsibilities I’d like to get out with my children. Any tips? How to make it easier/less stressful? Any good sites or trails or fsr that lead to spots that would be easy for me to take them for outings? In the process of getting my trapping so we can set up a cabin spot but in the meantime would love to still get out.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Getting Out With Children

If I knew how to post pictures on this Forum I would share several great memories with my girls. I take my 2 daughters Waterfowl hunting every time I go in the Fall. I also bring my girls to my Bear bait here in Alberta all the time. They absolutely love coming out with me not sure if its for the outdoors or the Candy they get to eat hahah..

ill Be taking my daughter grouse hunting in the fall. Nice easy hunt, early season the weather is still nice enough that kids will be comfortable and not get rained on. I think the key is to not have any expectations aside from getting out, tossing a worm on a hook into the water, roasting some hotdogs and plinking.

Well it all depends on where you live. There are lots of trails and FSRs in lower BC.
    You really have to go to Google earth and find them in your area. Also many BC government websites with information on parks and trails.
    If your family has not been outdoors at all you could start with just plain camping (glamping) and gauge their interest from there.
    Make sure they are having fun and there will be no stress.
    Cooking food outdoors is a sure way to get people out and liking it.
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

Don't think too hard about it, just get out there.

Primary concern is simply keeping them safe. (furry critters, water, falls or lost) You'll adapt, learn, and get by with the rest.
    If you are having a decent time, they'll be having a great time.

Sitting by a river on a small sandy beach, simply driving around a FSR with their noses glued to the window glass.

Even when you think they aren't paying attention, they are busy absorbing...
    six years later they'll ask about that place and that time they saw something and you'll have to think hard where that was or what you were doing...

Sorry forgot to mention Kootenays area. Thanks for the tips. I have my hunting and been out lots with my Dad but myself have not shot an animal so likely will be learning a lot alongside them. Like the encouragement above thank you all. I agree I just need to get us out there and the rest will fall into place and be happy memories one day. I’m hoping I can find some spots that we can look forward to go to. I went so many places as a child and can’t remember their names lol so it’s like I’m learning allover again ��

What you do know is that gravel road off the highway leads nowhere in particular but perhaps somewhere special....

Whatever you do, ensure your vehicle is equipped for back country travel. Appropriate tires for gravel roads, extra water, and some food.
    Axe, shovel and matches.

Tell someone where your going and get out there...bring good amounts of food, snacks, water, books to read if they get bored in the vehicle etc....my little guy, now 7, loves getting out with me for all the above mentioned things...

Quote Originally Posted by Astepanuk View Post
    If I knew how to post pictures on this Forum I would share several great memories with my girls. I take my 2 daughters Waterfowl hunting every time I go in the Fall. I also bring my girls to my Bear bait here in Alberta all the time. They absolutely love coming out with me not sure if its for the outdoors or the Candy they get to eat hahah..
    Set up an imgur account then PM me and I'll tell ya...

Both my kids started coming along on outings once out of diapers.
    It really didn’t matter what we were doing specifically (ice fishing, hunting, whatever), or where we went, the key was to make it fun for them. Kids have short attention spans so keep them engaged. Make games out of looking for animals, counting birds etc. Let them help with things like setting up decoys, baiting hooks, collecting firewood. Bring extra boots & clothes, they are attracted magnetically to water and dirt. Lots of snacks, drinks, stopping for campfire lunch is always a hit. You have to give them free time to explore and interact with the elements on their terms and at their pace. Don’t expect focus for 12 hours.
    Twist and pull.