Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Guide Outfitters in for a tough season

Re: Guide Outfitters in for a tough season

I feel for all forced by the government to stop working. Time to open up! The average age of death from covid is the same age as the average life expectancy..
    "Our arrows will block out the sun!" "Then we shall fight in the dark!" K.L. Government is not the solution to our problem, it is the problem. R.R. “One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.” M.F. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClJ...fYFveARiWyqjQA

With all the bad blood spewed against the GOABC from BC residents I’m sure it will be a cold day in hell before they give any resident a deal and I for one can’t blame them at all.
    Proud Member of Team Gold Bond

Originally Posted by F***** D***
    some "people" tend to use the paneling in the living room to fuel their fires.
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    I think I do perrty good for only having grad 7 education

On the hunt I agree and that is not what I was alluding to, they will be worrying more about their time in airports, planes and being in the big cities in both directions. I made the comment as I know a lot of Americans who hunt in Canada and Overseas, and they are concerned going forward. This is especially true because the vast majority of the hunters that can afford the hunts are in the "older" category and have various health issues that Covid seems to like to prey upon.

You are absolutely correct, I know lots of outfitters who take Resident hunters as well. I was referring to when outfitters have allocations for a particular species in an area where residents are on a draw. If it is an area where there are OTC resident tags for a particular species and no LEH draw is required, then it should not be an issue. Same goes for a Resident who drew an LEH tag in the outfitters area, no problem.

But I could be way off base. It was my understanding that this was the case years ago. It is entirely possible that I am out to lunch completely or things have changed.
    Last edited by Retiredguy; 05-13-2020 at 11:15 PM.

"Everyone in the tourism business is taking a shit kicking, including outfitters."

Makes you wonder - we know how many depend on tourist dollars, and we know we've flattened the curve. How much longer will the "Don't travel to small towns" trump "Hey, maybe come and buy something here because we're starting to starve".

We're starting to phase in schools in June, and here in the LML traffic is almost back to pre-pandemic levels.
    Rob Chipman
    "The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders" - Ed Abbey
    "Grown men do not need leaders" - also Ed Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Chipman View Post
    "Everyone in the tourism business is taking a shit kicking, including outfitters."

Makes you wonder - we know how many depend on tourist dollars, and we know we've flattened the curve. How much longer will the "Don't travel to small towns" trump "Hey, maybe come and buy something here because we're starting to starve".

We're starting to phase in schools in June, and here in the LML traffic is almost back to pre-pandemic levels.

In Sea to Sky there is a pretty vocal percentage of the population that is freaking out about Vancouver tourists coming. They call people selfish yet I think it’s they who are being selfish. If you are high risk or scared, stay home.

Some communities (mine included) seem to be making it as inhospitable as possible for visitors by closing down parks and camp sites. It’s very short sighted. People won’t stay home forever, and we will want their tourist dollars. Take precautions and open up, get the economy rolling again.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Quote Originally Posted by Ron.C View Post
    yep, Now may be a good time for outfitters of the GOABC to offer up some discounted resident hunts? I mean they have the allocations why not utilize them and make some money?

Would you go to work for a percentage of your pay cheque just to be a nice guy? This country needs support from its citizens, not the ideas that hinge on a welfare image.

I wonder how many outfitters use "loss of revenue" insurance and wont actually lose a dime. I know during the forest fires, there were resorts that were able to file claims. I kind of suspect that a lot of outfitters carry this type of insurance as well.
    "Do not go where the path may lead,
    go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by gcreek View Post
    Would you go to work for a percentage of your pay cheque just to be a nice guy? This country needs support from its citizens, not the ideas that hinge on a welfare image.
    I wasn't implying they give these hunts away for pennies on the dollar as if they were looking for some sort of welfare. I was implying that a discounted rate may help keep them in buisness and garner some resident support. Companies discount the cost of products and services all the time for a variety of reasons.

Why would I pay full price on a product from an industry that's had recent conflicts with resident hunters, because Im a nice guy? Add to this that its primary client base has been severely impacted for who knows how long? And I'm sure the greenies will do everything they can to make this hurt permanent on the GOs and FN would happily take the allocation in a heartbeat.

Maybe the way ahead should be if the GO cant show that they are booked and can turn a profit on their hunts (which is why they are allocated the tags) then maybe they should have to surrender their allocation back to the crown and thos tags can be lumped into the LEH system.

I'll be crystal clear on my last point. There are going to be businesses and industries that do not survive the current economic troubles and that's just the way it is. Govt assistance and insurance is finite. And many of the ones that do survive will take a long time to recover and may never get back to the profits they once enjoyed.
    Last edited by Ron.C; 05-24-2020 at 09:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by willyqbc View Post
    I wonder how many outfitters use "loss of revenue" insurance and wont actually lose a dime. I know during the forest fires, there were resorts that were able to file claims. I kind of suspect that a lot of outfitters carry this type of insurance as well.
    Before making a loss of revenue claim, businesses need to consider the clause " insured is to take all reasonable efforts to mitigate losses".
    from the insurance companies point of view, is it reasonable to just shut down or is it reasonable to offer hunts at a sale price to mitigate losses?
    Outfitters are going to have alot to consider in making these decisions.