Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Guide Outfitters in for a tough season

Re: Guide Outfitters in for a tough season

Or sell the tags to us resident hunters so we can go on hunts that we don’t win leh’s for

Quote Originally Posted by Rayne View Post
    Or sell the tags to us resident hunters so we can go on hunts that we don’t win leh’s for
    They are your draws to begin with.

Let’s step back and look at the dollar value that they have come up with for their area or sold their respective territories. Remember now that many areas have been passed threw the generations and now seam to be worth many millions!!! Maybe this is just a wake up call, your territory ain’t worth shit if the government says so!
    this year they will have to pull their big boy shorts up and suck it up! Maybe they won’t be flying around harassing residents chasing “their game”.

No way in Hell they'd give us a chance at their $ animals.

They'll wait a year and collect some Justin $.

We all may even reap a windfall if the hunting pressure is eased for a year, next year will be epic
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch View Post
    We all may even reap a windfall if the hunting pressure is eased for a year, next year will be epic
    Somehow we’ll get screwed, just wait for it.
    Proud Member of Team Gold Bond

Originally Posted by F***** D***
    some "people" tend to use the paneling in the living room to fuel their fires.
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    I think I do perrty good for only having grad 7 education

Seems to me that in years gone by residents could not use outfitters assigned quota and they were only for non-residents, be they non-resident Canadians or non-resident aliens. Perhaps things have changed? The thinking expressed in the past was that it would not be fair to residents as it would mean that "rich" residents could just go with an outfitter and not have to mess around with the limited entry hunting draws like the unwashed masses.

But again......maybe it is allowed now? Perhaps one of the outfitters that use this site could clarify it for us.

Regardless, this pandemic and the closures globally are severely impacting outfitters in many countries. There will be many of them that have trouble surviving this and as we come out of it their client base will have shrunk as well. The majority of outfitters clients these days are older, as in 60 plus, and they have lost a great deal of money on their retirement investments. That, combined with the potential of catching something and the increased annoyances with international travel, will cause even more of them to say to hell with it and stay at home to hunt in their own country.

Quote Originally Posted by albravo2 View Post
    That is what I was thinking but I wonder if they can still make money or break even at the discount that resident hunters would need. I'd like to support but the resident hunters I know that have used GOs paid a lot of money.
    It is all relative. A good guide and wrangler for a 14 day sheep hunt will be over $6000, and thats before you get to food, transportation, or anything to cover the overhead of a large operation. Insurance, annual payments for the outfit if its in newer hands, general gear/supplies, fuel, horse expenses, or airplane annual inspection. Certainly there is a huge markup on a 50k USD stone sheep hunt, but not so much on a 20k CAD one.

The G/O industry in Canada isn't as big as some, but if we lose a whole season of guiding it is a big impact to many. From the Canadian Federation of Outfitter Associations: "The COVID-19 pandemic’s impact on the outfitting industry is estimated to cost the National economy$1.482B in gross economic activity, $833M to gross domestic product (GDP), and 21,716 jobs. Total lostfederal government revenues are estimated at $99.6M."

Quote Originally Posted by NMO View Post
    It is all relative. A good guide and wrangler for a 14 day sheep hunt will be over $6000, and thats before you get to food, transportation, or anything to cover the overhead of a large operation. Insurance, annual payments for the outfit if its in newer hands, general gear/supplies, fuel, horse expenses, or airplane annual inspection. Certainly there is a huge markup on a 50k USD stone sheep hunt, but not so much on a 20k CAD one.

The G/O industry in Canada isn't as big as some, but if we lose a whole season of guiding it is a big impact to many. From the Canadian Federation of Outfitter Associations: "The COVID-19 pandemic’s impact on the outfitting industry is estimated to cost the National economy$1.482B in gross economic activity, $833M to gross domestic product (GDP), and 21,716 jobs. Total lostfederal government revenues are estimated at $99.6M."
    $99.6 mil.... pffft! Justin farts that every press conference ...at least.
    Regards,

Ltbullken
    Freelance Wildlife Population Manager
    Animals - If you can't eat 'em, wear 'em!

Quote Originally Posted by Retiredguy View Post
    That, combined with the potential of catching something and the increased annoyances with international travel, will cause even more of them to say to hell with it and stay at home to hunt in their own country.
    I hear you on the international travel angle. But, if you are looking for an activity that is less likely to kill you due to proximity to infected people, I expect a remote hunting camp is one of your better bets. This is not in the Alaska cruise risk category. I read somewhere that the two most common illnesses on silver surfer cruises are VD and food poisoning. I expect you are pretty safe from the former in a sheep camp.