Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Guide Outfitters in for a tough season

Re: Guide Outfitters in for a tough season

Quote Originally Posted by quadrakid View Post
    It will be an interesting year for tourism in BC. I do nott want to guess what the future will bring but i do know that my wife and our adult kids are itching to travel and if we are welcome this summer we are heading to the mainland somewhere.
    I,m sure there are a few of you mainlanders would love to have me drop in.
    Quadra I don't agree with really anything you seem to believe in but I would be happy to have a beer with you and you and your family would be welcome at my home.
    'The bible says the end is coming soon, I hope I get my cabin built by then'
    Richard ‘Dick’ Proenekke

Quote Originally Posted by Downwindtracker2 View Post
    I've never stayed at multi million dollar lodges or tourist resorts, nor can I see me ever affording such rich man's play . Maybe you're rich, I'm not. Conventions and cruise ships only pollute downtown Vancouver.
    Nope...I am not rich, far from it in fact, but I do not hold a lot of animosity towards the existence of these businesses. They create jobs and opportunity. It is pretty easy to be negative about things we cannot partake of, but life is not fair. There will always be things one cannot afford to do and games we cannot play.

If everyone had such a negative view of things, which is easy to do, there would be no tourism, no logging, no mining, no jobs, no society as we know it.

I am relatively new to this site, but I have to say the amount of hostility I see on here towards outfitters, the game department, etc. etc. is a bit over the top. Sad to see, but I guess it is a sign of the times.

There was the allotment LEH numbers to guides. But with out a doubt the most egregious rule change was in the Kootineys(sp) . They banned motor vehicles above an elevation, so the locals got on their mountain bikes, biking Up mountains, no less. The government then bans wheeled travel. How many have a horse in their back yard, the outfitters do. Screw them. I can go and on.

We make our living from tourism and, though we will earn less this year, we'll be fine. Next year may be a little rougher but we'll still be fine. The thing is, all of our losses are directly attributable to government actions.
    As far as hunting is concerned, most of my hunting is done in GO areas and relations have always been cordial. Anytime the hunt has been negatively impacted by other hunters, it has been due to the actions of BC resident hunters and never the non-resident, guided, hunters or the guides.
    The actions of the outfitter in an area are almost never detrimental to my hunting experience but the actions of the logging and mining corporations often are. The proliferation of roads, disturbance of game, habitat destruction and poaching don't enhance the hunting experience any.
    I try to be respectful of the outfitter and guides and expect them to be the same with me; usually, they are. GD

Well, there are good and bad in every human group one can think of, however, my 60+ years of varied outdoor experiences in BC, AB, NWT and a bit more in ONT, with a day in the Yukon, have made me disagree with GD.

We have seen several extreme issues with a certain high profile US GO here in BC and in AB, IIRC. In the Kootenays, where I was born and raised, there were a number of US military types who blocked access to "our mountain", in the Lardeau, there are more Americans with fancy lodges who have American staff and a disturbing attitude as well as being very vociferous in their campaign to stop hunting there.

I have never had a problem with BC-born GOs, but, some with certain foreign-born ones..........

I have had a few issues with foreign owned outfitters over the years as well and the same with a handful of resident owned outfitters, but by and large they have been good to deal with. I worked in the industry for a long time and like all walks of life, there are a few bad apples in every group.....but overall I would say that most are good to deal with. Having said that I hear about all these American outfitters and staff all the time.....the outfitters have to jump through a lot of hoops to hire US/foreign staff legally. Same goes with the proliferation of NZ guides getting hired for the mountain hunts. It has to be approved and they need to show they cannot find suitable residents to hire.

I know it has been getting harder and harder to hire good guides and staff as the years have gone by, but I didn't think it had gotten to the point that it was rampant. Maybe it has?

For the record, I do not think that our outfitting areas should be owned by non-resident aliens. However, like all businesses a lot of games were played in the past with having a resident hold the outfitters license while the area was actually owned by an American/EU entity behind the scenes on legal documents.

I agree that their should be no foreign or non-resident owners of GO territories; just as there should be no Chinese national ownership of Canadian real estate. In fact, I think ownership of GO territories should be within region. The same with the guides. GD

Quote Originally Posted by Retiredguy View Post
    I have had a few issues with foreign owned outfitters over the years as well and the same with a handful of resident owned outfitters, but by and large they have been good to deal with. I worked in the industry for a long time and like all walks of life, there are a few bad apples in every group.....but overall I would say that most are good to deal with. Having said that I hear about all these American outfitters and staff all the time.....the outfitters have to jump through a lot of hoops to hire US/foreign staff legally. Same goes with the proliferation of NZ guides getting hired for the mountain hunts. It has to be approved and they need to show they cannot find suitable residents to hire.

I know it has been getting harder and harder to hire good guides and staff as the years have gone by, but I didn't think it had gotten to the point that it was rampant. Maybe it has?

For the record, I do not think that our outfitting areas should be owned by non-resident aliens. However, like all businesses a lot of games were played in the past with having a resident hold the outfitters license while the area was actually owned by an American/EU entity behind the scenes on legal documents.

The foreign guides seem to be in response to Canadian guides choosing $400-500 a day in the oil patch while leaving them 7-14 days each month to hunt for themselves.

I suppose some outfitters don’t want resident guides that may “steal their spots” too but I suspect the oil patch is the prime reason. We may see some changes there as the patch has hit a down turn.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Quote Originally Posted by GreyDog View Post
    I agree that their should be no foreign or non-resident owners of GO territories; just as there should be no Chinese national ownership of Canadian real estate. In fact, I think ownership of GO territories should be within region. The same with the guides. GD
    Perhaps, bit too extreme? Also, if we discriminate against Chinese ownership of Canadian real estate, how could we justify ANY other foreign ownership of the same ?

I would love to see a total rework of our hunting policies and regs. but, ain't holding my breath.

How about people just post up where the foreign owned operators are and how to access the animals in that area. I'm sure that would affect business and give resident hunters more knowledge to access areas owned by non-residents. I have read one story on here were a GO was harassing residents so they brought some resident people back the following year to harvest some of the "GOs" sheep. Apparently he got the message.

My interactions with GOs have been mostly positive so far, but I haven't had a lot.
    Last edited by AllDay; 05-26-2020 at 09:18 AM.