Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Current campfire restrictions are confusing...

Current campfire restrictions are confusing...

So I was planning on taking a trip for a night or two into crown land around where I live, the plan was for May long weekend and with rain basically being guaranteed I wanted to make sure I could at least have a campfire. Even on a "normal" season it's hard enough to tell what the restrictions are based on Provincial, Regional, and whatever feel-good political bans but now with COVID it's even harder to get a straight answer.

My usual source of truth is: http://bcfireinfo.for.gov.bc.ca/hprS...eNews/Bans.asp

I figured if a CO or someone had issue and I could show them this page, that I would be in the right. Would others here agree?

I fall under the Kamloops fire region and as of the time of this posting both "Campfires" and "Forest Use" are unrestricted, which to me says I can venture into crown land and have a campfire.

I've taken a few trips onto dirt roads in the past 2 weeks, in both instances I've seen "No Campfires" signs nailed up on the major roads and entrances. Are these municipal bans? Are these provincial bans?

From my current understanding you can not go to a provincial or federal park and have a campfire, but its OK on crown land?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Current campfire restrictions are confusing...

It's clear as day.
    If you want a camp fire, you can have one.
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

the signs up i believe are for no burning eg grass or brush piles to clean uo your land after the winter.

Make sure you double check right before you head out. This page is good to look at too: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/s...on/fire-danger

The closer to extreme things get, the more likely they are to start putting bans in effect.

IIRC there was/is a campfire ban in the north OK? and in the central regional district as well?

My understanding, from the website, is that campfires .5m wide x .5m high are allowed. Google BC campfires.

Forestry is great at putting up signs but the shits at taking them down.

I've taken a few trips onto dirt roads in the past 2 weeks, in both instances I've seen "No Campfires" signs nailed up on the major roads and entrances. Are these municipal bans? Are these provincial bans?
    Around here the fire hazard is presently "very low" yet just about every forestry road is posted No Campfires. These signs have been up since the 2017 mega fire season. I'm not sure if Kamloops area is the same but I wouldn't be surprised.
    its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this

That website link is for provincial bans, and under the wildfire act is valid for any part of BC outside of a municipality that has bylaw that relates to open burning - inside a municipal boundary you have to check with the municipality as their bans/openings can be different

http://www.bclaws.ca/civix/document/id/complete/statreg/04031_01

Quote Originally Posted by CranePete View Post
    My understanding, from the website, is that campfires .5m wide x .5m high are allowed. Google BC campfires.
    YUP a 19" x 19 " Campfire - not a Brush Burning fire like all you LML Weekend Warriors Light Up ! RJ

19x19 ? Where do you find pallets that size?
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole