Thread: Hunter in training

Hunter in training

Hey guys!

I’m just getting into the sport so I thought I’d make my first post. I’ve been lurking the forum for quite some time, reading and attempting to get good deals on some equipment. I’m living in North Vancouver and mostly camp and have done a bit of shooting, but no hunting. Like most others in this section I don’t have a hunting mentor and I’m getting onto it a little late at 34, but better late than never.

This whole Covid fiasco put me further behind as I was hoping to be taking my CORE course around now. Currently I received my PAL and purchased a rifle to practice with. I chose the Savage Mark II, I was going to start with open sights but they didn’t have one in stock and I was really excited to buy that day so I got the one with weaver glass attached. I also picked up a soft case and a cleaning kit.

I’m not sure if this is a taboo question, but I’m trying to find a good place in Squamish to go and sight in my rifle. All of the ranges seem to be closed right now, so I need to find a spot in the bush. I’m originally from the island so I don’t know the backroads around the lower mainland. I do have the regs and could bomb around to find something, but I’m currently trying to get rid of my “city car” and get something a little better for access roads. Anyway, I’m safe and respectful so if you’ve got a spot or would like to show me a spot while social distancing please send me a PM.

Any other advice, book recommendations, words of wisdom or questions please put below. I’m itching to get out but I got a raw deal with this whole corona thing.

All the best,

Scott

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Hunter in training

First make sure your in a area where your aloud to shoot and find a old pit/sand bank they work good.

Hi Cboyd, thanks for the advice!

Also, thanks to everyone who have sent me PMs with information and answered my questions!

Much appreciated all.

The CORE course can be done on line, that's how I did mine. Then all you have to do is find an examiner in your region to write the test. Since you have your PAL, you shouldn't need to do the practical firearms safety part of the CORE exam.

Getting into the game at 34 is not old..... ask me how I know.....

Welcome Scott! I'm a bit of a newbie myself with a modicum of success. I started out hunting grouse, and am currently going for mule deer.

Hi,
    First, hunting is a right and not a “sport”. Now that that’s out of the way ... get the iHunter app and buy the map package, it’s great and has lots of info on no shooting areas, reserves and boundaries. This will be a great tool to help find areas you can hunt and shoot in. I’ve worked at a bunch of the run of the river projects and I see deer and other animals all over and close to the roads. If you head down the SFSR to where it turns to gravel, I always see a ton of deer in the fields.... now what I would do is get the maps of the area, find the private and hunting boundaries and see if you can ambush them coming and goimg to the farm fields.
    BLACKRIFLESMATTER

Hey Boilerroom,

Congrats on the success! I just bought Steve Rubella’s small game book and am interested in grouse hunting after I’ve worked on my marksmanship. What area were you hunting in?

Hi Limit Time,

Thanks for the clarification! It is an important distinction, and something to keep in mind. I took a look at the app and it’s great. I appreciate the heads up. I’ll check out the SFSR, I’ve never headed that far along the River. Thanks!