Hey guys!

I’m just getting into the sport so I thought I’d make my first post. I’ve been lurking the forum for quite some time, reading and attempting to get good deals on some equipment. I’m living in North Vancouver and mostly camp and have done a bit of shooting, but no hunting. Like most others in this section I don’t have a hunting mentor and I’m getting onto it a little late at 34, but better late than never.

This whole Covid fiasco put me further behind as I was hoping to be taking my CORE course around now. Currently I received my PAL and purchased a rifle to practice with. I chose the Savage Mark II, I was going to start with open sights but they didn’t have one in stock and I was really excited to buy that day so I got the one with weaver glass attached. I also picked up a soft case and a cleaning kit.

I’m not sure if this is a taboo question, but I’m trying to find a good place in Squamish to go and sight in my rifle. All of the ranges seem to be closed right now, so I need to find a spot in the bush. I’m originally from the island so I don’t know the backroads around the lower mainland. I do have the regs and could bomb around to find something, but I’m currently trying to get rid of my “city car” and get something a little better for access roads. Anyway, I’m safe and respectful so if you’ve got a spot or would like to show me a spot while social distancing please send me a PM.

Any other advice, book recommendations, words of wisdom or questions please put below. I’m itching to get out but I got a raw deal with this whole corona thing.

All the best,

Scott