Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Upper Pitt River Elk- Questions

Re: Upper Pitt River Elk- Questions

[QUOTE=dracb;2182143]
    Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    When my hunting partners son got the draw, he looked into getting a taxi/barge to take gear up like his quads.
    He said it would cost over 600$, and if i remember correctly, one way (could be wrong on that).

We got to know a couple of the people there, as they were all hanging around the docks when we went up scouting one time.
    From there, he got to know someone to stay there.

Oh ya, i already am in line ahead of you for that tag!!!!

Guy that runs the lodge isnt overly liked by most of the residents, at least the one's that hunt up there.
    Wont get into more on that whole situation, but there is more issues.
    Anyways, my buddy spent time at a residents for the week.
    Took his own boat up, and got to use the fellows old pickup while hunting up there!
    So, there are some great folks in the area, but you have to take time to meet them, let them get to know you, and let them know you have the draw.

After that, you need to be able to travel "possibly" for 20+ kms, looking for elk, or anywhere in between.
    Thats another story.[END QUOTE]

I would bet most of the elk taken in the Pitt are harvested within 5 or 6 km of the dock. Do some scouting before you decide what you have to take in.

i doubt that as the first 9km are mostly private land right of the FSR. Once your past Courbold creek, game on

Do they still log up there ? Has anyone on here hunted deer up there ?
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    Do they still log up there ? Has anyone on here hunted deer up there ?
    Arctic Lake
    lots of logging and never really see deer. Bear and elk yes....once the water drops, boat access up the river get pretty slim. You defiantly need a boat you don’t give a shit about.
    Last edited by limit time; 06-20-2020 at 04:15 PM.
    BLACKRIFLESMATTER

I’ve had my fish to the second canyon when everyone turns around at the big split. It’s a river to be careful on, but you don’t need to beat your boat if you pay attention. Certain times of the year it’s not boatable cause there’s no water, but fall usually is ok.

If I get the draw, I may have room for another person to hunt as well.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

Thanks for the information !
    Arctic Lake
    Quote Originally Posted by limit time View Post
    lots of logging and never really see deer. Bear and elk yes....once the water drops, boat access up the river get pretty slim. You defiantly need a boat you don’t give a shit about.
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

[QUOTE=TyTy;2182317]
    Quote Originally Posted by dracb View Post

i doubt that as the first 9km are mostly private land right of the FSR. Once your past Courbold creek, game on
    The first few km's are okay, but you have to watch for people and logging trucks.
    Around the first bridge, just after that point, 5km?? or so, there is some private land.
    Then after that, there are a few points to watch out for etc.
    So, lots of room to hunt, but I also know some of the elk seen where further back, 15km or so, by my buddy who's son got the tag and success a few years back.
    I didn't go that far when scouting and didn't go on the actual hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by limit time View Post
    I think more than a few jet boats have been lost up there, so yes, be careful.
    It's not an easy river to navigate at times I am told.
    Some deer in peoples yards, but I think you have to go higher up.
    I think the road with the gate on it is where many of the locals went and why they are so pissed off about that gate.
    (because a few still have the key...hmmmm?)

For anyone who applies and wins, I found there were a few great individuals on HBC that sent pm's to help.
    So, don't feel like people wont help.

I know some say "why apply for a hunt you know nothing about and then ask others for intel".
    Personally, this is such a limited hunt, a once in a lifetime for anyone who wins, why wouldn't others help those folks out???
    3 tags a year for Resident!, why not help.

Remember, the FN have tags as well.
    So, by not giving intel, hoping to win a tag you may never win in your life, is ridiculous, as someone is going to drop those bulls!!
    I would rather it be an HBC member...imo.

Whats access like trying to get up there with a kayak and an electric fat bike?

Quote Originally Posted by ovvsla View Post
    Whats access like trying to get up there with a kayak and an electric fat bike?
    it’s great!