Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spotting scope??

Spotting scope??

So recently I bought my first spotter. A vortex Diamondback. 20x60x80. Bigger than I had planned but the deal was a good one.
    So my question is with regard to the heat haze when viewing through them.

This past weekend I used it quite a bit and spotted critters I wouldn't have seen otherwise, but on long distances with high zoom the heat haze was pretty bad. Is that something that is minimized with higher dollar glass of is it a way of life on warm days and higher powers? It was obviously less of an issue at lower power but the objects were not as easily identified.

Wondering if the Razor might have been a better bet for this reason only? Super impressed otherwise.

Thx in advance!
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Spotting scope??

I have the Swaro ATX 95 (big like yours ) and definitely have the same issue. Lucky for me, I use it primarily in the late fall and the heat is less of an issue in the prime times (early/late in the day). A real pain in the hot days though - makes them unusable at distances if you are looking for details.
    Last edited by Stroodle; 05-10-2020 at 04:46 PM. Reason: mis-key
    Tick tock, tick tock...waiting for hunting season...

This article is in the context of photography, but the concept is the same. The issue has nothing to do with the quality of your optics.

https://www.nikonimgsupport.com/eu/B...ameOrigin=null

Glassing from an elevated vantage point is about the only thing you can change, or you can reduce the distance (haha, yeah, right), or change the weather. (Let me know how that goes for you. LOL)
    Pretend hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by Steeleco View Post
    So recently I bought my first spotter. A vortex Diamondback. 20x60x80. Bigger than I had planned but the deal was a good one.
    So my question is with regard to the heat haze when viewing through them.

This past weekend I used it quite a bit and spotted critters I wouldn't have seen otherwise, but on long distances with high zoom the heat haze was pretty bad. Is that something that is minimized with higher dollar glass of is it a way of life on warm days and higher powers? It was obviously less of an issue at lower power but the objects were not as easily identified.

Wondering if the Razor might have been a better bet for this reason only? Super impressed otherwise.

Thx in advance!
    Your observations regarding the 20 x 60 zoom on the spotting scope is quite normal. This is why I have always advised guys looking to buy spotting scopes that you shouldn't exceed 50 power on a zoom. With the 60 power for the most part you either don't have enough light or you get mirage. The conditions are rare when you can use it effectively in my experience. Will probably work good at the range or for general long distance viewing, but the minute you try to do any detailed work with it, like trying to count points or verifying full curl at long distance, lack of light and mirage curse you. For the most part in my experience some where around 45 power is usually pretty trouble free

Quote Originally Posted by VLD43 View Post
    Your observations regarding the 20 x 60 zoom on the spotting scope is quite normal. This is why I have always advised guys looking to buy spotting scopes that you shouldn't exceed 50 power on a zoom. With the 60 power for the most part you either don't have enough light or you get mirage. The conditions are rare when you can use it effectively in my experience. Will probably work good at the range or for general long distance viewing, but the minute you try to do any detailed work with it, like trying to count points or verifying full curl at long distance, lack of light and mirage curse you. For the most part in my experience some where around 45 power is usually pretty trouble free
    Thanks all. I did see a distinct change about half way through the power increase. Still better than not having one. I think I won't be long before I search out better glass. I did pick a bear of a hill at longer than my range finders ability to range. 1000yds. was a black spec with the binos, was a shooter once I get set up. Now if only the snow would piss off !! I'd be posting pics for a change!!

Quote Originally Posted by VLD43 View Post
    Makes sense, as I have never noticed the issue with my 16-48 power Razor....

They all suffer from that same problem. Keeping the magnification lower helps, as you dont notice it as much.

Its unfortunate, but on a bright day even later in the season it can be an issue.

You can’t avoid the heat waves during warming days. That’s just physics.
    Cooler days, early and later light will be better glassing. That’s when most critters are up and feeding anyhow and you can use the higher power without batting heat waves.

SSS
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

You will appreciate the 60X and 80 the first time you try to make out a tine at 300 m. on a dull day and it pops
    The hurdle is getting used to always carrying it, always have it at hand just in case.
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

I'm getting more into park, spot, got get!! I'm getting to be an old goat, won't be chasing them LOL