Hey Gang, tonight was my first real attempt at getting out for spring black bears this year. We went out earlier in the week but found conditions weren't great for getting around on the roads with a tonne of water/snow and rain still in the mountains where we like to hunt bear. My 11 year old son and I decided to stick a little closer to home tonight and went to a specific clearing where we've seen bears before. My son is excited to harvest his first big game animal this year so we are working together to try and make that happen.

We drove to our area and parked well before the clearing and walked in. Just as we are entering the area, I see a beautiful mature brown coloured bear feeding 75 yards away, and broadside. It doesn't see us because the wind is right in our face. Perfect conditions for my sons first harvest! However, immediately upon spotting the bear, I spot two cubs with it. The cool part (the whole experience is cool, but even cooler...) is that one cub was black, and the other was blonde as blonde can be. It was a trifecta of color phase, so to speak. The three of them fed toward us without even seeing us. We took a nice cell phone video and some pix and backed out and let them be. I told my son, "Its funny, we can't go to our bear spot because there's bears there."

It was a nice outing. We will be doing what we call our "father-son annual" on the May long weekend so a few days in the woods should provide us with some quality hunting/camping and possibly some meat hanging in the cooler.

I posted pix but realize they are from cell phone. I just wanted to show the colors.
Montec