Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bear down for team caddis

Re: Bear down for team caddis

I always enjoy your hunting posts and this one didn't disappoint. Nice work!

I hope CG feels better soon, it sucks to be under the weather when the sun is shining.

I've noticed a lot of campers too, I'm hoping it is the fact that the provincial sites are all closed. The Duffy Lake rd was not quite as busy as a summer day but way busier than I've seen over the past month.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

Quote Originally Posted by albravo2 View Post
    I always enjoy your hunting posts and this one didn't disappoint. Nice work!

I hope CG feels better soon, it sucks to be under the weather when the sun is shining.

I've noticed a lot of campers too, I'm hoping it is the fact that the provincial sites are all closed. The Duffy Lake rd was not quite as busy as a summer day but way busier than I've seen over the past month.
    Thanks! I always try my best to tell the story so it puts the reader in my boots. I think a lot of people prefer stories to pics. I know I do. And there are definitely people who prefer pics/videos over stories. I try to get a little both of both.

Update on caddisgirl, she's pretty much 100% now, just the usual "day-after" soreness. I'm feeling that a bit myself. The thing that usually gets me the most is my legs from squatting and hunching while working on the bear. Usually lasts a couple days. Perhaps I should try regular exercise LOL.

Glad to hear CG is feeling better. Probably a bit of heat exhaustion. Been working out in the sun a bit and I sure feel it quick, I know it takes me a while to get used to the heat every year. By July.. piece of cake.

Re. the ditch campers. lol I think we got a few things going on. Health officials opening things up slightly last week, rec and park camping still a no go and this gorgeous weather. People have been cooped up to some extent or another for a couple months and this near 30 degree weather for a few days has people out in droves. And if they're camping there isn't much choice for those that don't leave the main roads, which is the vast majority.
    Being a retired bum I can pick my times so I'm happily staying home this weekend working in the yard but the traffic volumes on highways in and out of town this weekend are like 4 times what its been the last couple months. Its like a switch has been turned on. I see we're back to cloudy and rainy this week. Yay
    its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this

Quote Originally Posted by Salty View Post
    Glad to hear CG is feeling better. Probably a bit of heat exhaustion. Been working out in the sun a bit and I sure feel it quick, I know it takes me a while to get used to the heat every year. By July.. piece of cake.
    Yeah I think you're bang on. Little bit of exhaustion trying to work too hard too fast mentally and physically on a hot day while the body was no where near climatized.

I usually pass on late morning or early afternoon bears this time of year but have done it a couple of times. This was one of those times. Just really wanted to top off the freezer and fill up the freezer for mom for mothers day without having to go to the grocery store.

Congrats! And thanks for the great thread!

Quote Originally Posted by DannyO View Post
    Congrats! And thanks for the great thread!
    Thanks! Every year I forget how much work the cutting, trimming, grinding and vacuum packing is. 3 hours into it we are about 2/3 done... taking a 10 minute break every hour or so. Guessing we should have it all packaged in another 2-3 hours. Mom is gonna come pick it up. Happy mothers day... here's a bunch of meat... make us some chilli LOL

How crazy do you go on the trimming? I find bear to be full of blue skin and tendons. If I had a better grinder I'm sure I could save a lot more but I'm finding that I'm left with more waste then I'd like on a bear.

That being said damn they are tasty!

Congrats on a great hunt and thanks for the read / pics!

Quote Originally Posted by whitlers View Post
    How crazy do you go on the trimming? I find bear to be full of blue skin and tendons. If I had a better grinder I'm sure I could save a lot more but I'm finding that I'm left with more waste then I'd like on a bear.

That being said damn they are tasty!
    I like to get as much the fat, silverskin, translucent film as possible, any thin crusted pieces, etc. We're finished trimming and I'd guess 3-5lbs. The grinder gets gummed up with silverskin that was missed which is convenient... kinda filters it out, but we have to clean the grinder every 5lbs or so or it starts to get jammed up. We're about 1/3 of the way through grinding now and vacuuming now. It looks and smells great.

We could probably put in a lot less work into it, but we take a lot of pride and the finished product, I'd pick over free range organic ground beef any day... except one bear back in 2017... sometimes you just end up with a bear that isn't great from the start but other than that one-off we've always had delicious bear and look forward to it every time.

This year is the first year I'm saving the fat and going to try to figure out what to do with it... how to render it and use it for whatever purpose... deep frying, pastry, or worst case scenario boot
    Last edited by caddisguy; 05-10-2020 at 09:48 PM.

Nicely done. He's been in some battles.
    Check my Youtube Channel for fishing and hunting videos https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjN...AEGjPIUba3pn9g