Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bear down for team caddis

Re: Bear down for team caddis

Quote Originally Posted by MichelD View Post
    Great!

Greased my boots. digging out my hunting gear, freezing my water bottles, getting ready for my first trip out this coming week.
    Freezing your wattle bottles? For ice? We have been doing something similar. Crush ice / block ice... forget it. It always leaks and pools up in the bottom of the cooler. We buy the 4L water jugs (like milk jugs except 2x thick) ... we fill those up and freeze them. They last WAY longer and other than condensation don't lead to any water in the bottom of the cooler. No cost really either... we replace them once every 20 freezes or so, they start to crack eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by Liptugger View Post
    Great story, I drag mind by the head, it drags with the grain of fur instead of against.
    Turns out we did it in that direction too. I think we found lifting the heavy end and pulling was much more efficient the dragging it from the heavy side. I haven't dragged a lot of bears, normally just bone them out on the spot but we had our reasons. Luckily this one was drag-able and it was flat. Often they are bigger and there is terrain involved.

Some more pics...

Last edited by caddisguy; 05-09-2020 at 10:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Salty View Post
    Congrats! Glad you were able to navigate the gong show and connect. Must have been a slog in this weather all right, I hope caddis girl is feeling better soon.
    Yeah I didn't anticipate how many campers and hunters would be in there. Looked like a wall of cars with people camping and hunters behind every stump.

I think caddisgirl will be fine. Pushed herself too hard in the heat. I think the dragging and pack out was a little much and she tweaked all sorts of little muscles and joints. We've dealt with way more BS and way bigger bears but it was hectic and rushed as we knew the heat was coming and there would be swarms of flies coming. Wanted to keep the meat good. She's sleeping off and on. For a while she kept waking up worried about joint pain and chills. Poor lady woman just worked her bones too hard, in the heat to boot, but I'm keeping a close eye.

Nice beauty scars!
    "You can learn more about hunting with a bow in a week than you could in a lifetime of gun hunting" - Fred Bear

Quote Originally Posted by 45freezer View Post
    Nice beauty scars!
    Little guy was a scrapper for sure. I'm 90% sure it was the same bear from the video I posted. Always pretty stealthy and "aware". I've passed on him a few times last couple years. He's not getting any bigger or anything. One time I took my brother out and he tried to "chase" after the same bear. My brother is trying to navigate through the brush, meanwhile I'm watching that bear which had already scooted up a rock face staring down at him to analyze the "threat" ... it was kind of funny. I have mixed feelings about taking that guy as he seemed to be what a "good bear" should be, but I'm at peace with it. I wouldn't "undo" it if I could. That is a "thing" though. When you get some history in with different bears year after year there's often some kind of bond. Sometimes you just have to think "stop playing with your food, it's food".

I was hoping to find this bear we call "He-man" ... massive front end on that guy, with average waist / hind. Looks like Hercules or something. Seen him around a couple times. I think he's safe this year. I believe I am done for the spring.
    Last edited by caddisguy; 05-09-2020 at 11:49 PM.

Beauty bear! Congrats!
    A hunter of all, master of none.

Formerly Good Old Outdoors..... I could not access old email to reset the password.

I can relate to having difficulty judging size with bears! Super difficult sometimes. Especially the times when I have only a few seconds to make a choice. Luckily, I don't discriminate. A bears a bear... Younger ones taste better, and bigger ones go on the wall. Win-win! I am all beared out this spring. We harvested 4 this season (I was apart of 3). We had to work harder than normal, but it's good for the soul.

Nice bear caddisguy the bear in the fridge just awesome. Your lucky you have a women like caddisgirl that enjoys hunting and fishing like you. Hope she feels better soon. Did you keep the claws then you can make caddisgirl a necklace.
    Nothing is like climbing a mountain, and then feeling like you are at the top of the world.

Thumbs up Re: Bear down for team caddis

Nice Work! Congrats!!
    Certainly was a scrapper alright!
    Great size for a grits bear!

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me