Thread: The beginning of my 2020 Region 6 FIRST Archery Black Bear.

The beginning of my 2020 Region 6 FIRST Archery Black Bear.

Full discretion. I am a rookie bear hunter who had only killed one black bear so far. So, that said, if I sound like a rookie or am just pure winging it, it’s because I am.

The other day, the family and I were in our way to town to get some supplies for a couple renovations. On the way I glanced into a section of power lines I had always wanted to explore and could see what looked like a black bear in a small greening clearing, took note of its location and kept going. On our way home at around 7:45, I looked back into the section of lines and saw that what I saw then is now gone, perfect.

Today, we went back to town for a weekend hunt coming up soon, we decided to take a drive down the power lines to see how it looks, and possibly see a bear. It was just after 5 when we left town for home. We drove to the road, and headed down. It was clearly heavily used by dirt bikers and ATVs but it was nice to just explore. All of a sudden my wife said “there it is!”. So I stopped the truck, glassed the bear and saw that it looked mature to me, so I grabbed the bow and moved in thinking to myself that if I had brought my rifle I would have a bear down, but what is the challenge in that? First time I ranged him I had moved into 114yards, still doing good, the boar was feeding away from me, and the wind is good! I sneak over crunching leaves and branches pausing a few times because I can see it heard me, second range reading was 76 yards. Keeping moving steady and picking my foot placement, I ranged him at 53 yards. At that range m, for me is a relatively easy ship in good conditions..... which was not happening! I could feel my heart pounding with excitement! This could be my first stalk and first bow kill! I moved slow and smooth, smooth is fast through the budding willows stopping on moss into 37 yards! My heart was pounding! I made several attempts to range him but kept getting 14 yards because of the willows infront of me, a strong wind gust gave me an opening and I saw 37 yards on the display, wind is good! I knocked an arrow, set my range to 36 yards. I looked at the ground infront of me so I could step around the willows to get a clear shot, when I felt the wind blow against the back of my neck! I hooked my release onto the d-loop on the first try amazingly enough and drew back! I could see he had me pinned, winded for sure, he turned his head and I took a bid step to my right. By the time I settled in after thinking I’m at full draw for the first time and felt my heartbeat slower and calmer, the bear turned and was trotting away with that big bear booty jiggling away into the tree line. He will be back, and so will I.

Walking back to the truck, my wife opened the door looking excited! I told her that it felt perfect the whole way until the wind changed. She was excited I got well within bow range. My boys were watching some show to keep them quiet in the truck because one would hit the horn...

I had planned a 2 night hunt with my oldest son for next week but both my boy and I agreed on these terms.
    1) We hunt the same boar we stalked
    2) We go explore camping areas and go fishing.
    3) Make s’mores.

I have to work the next couple days but after work on Monday I will be heading straight out after him. Focusing on one animals new to me but I think it can be done and decided to name him J-Lo because of that booty!

I will update next week!

Happy Hunting and stay safe!
    A hunter of all, master of none.

Formerly Good Old Outdoors..... I could not access old email to reset the password.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: The beginning of my 2020 Region 6 FIRST Archery Black Bear.

thats exciting, good luck on your next attempt. I am heading to a region 6 spot on powerlines on monday looking for a large boar, weather is looking great

LOL I can stalk a bear real close, but the wind has always been my biggest enemy while bow hunting.
    Alex Li Custom Recurve 48" 62# @ 28", Osage-Bloodwood/Maple/Bamboo with Bocote Riser
    Alex Li Custom Recurve 48" 53# @ 28", Bocote/Bamboo with Water Buffalo Horn Covered Belly
    Blackwidow Recurve 56" 61# @ 28"

New hunter: check!
    Ethical: check!
    Family involved: check!

HBC needs more threads like this.

Stalking bears a ton of fun and great practise, but it is important to remember that they tend to let you get away with a bit more than other critters. That is not meant to be a negative comment, you did great by your account so far and I can't wait to hear how the next stalk goes!
    Great job so far, keep at it and you will get your bear. Looking forward to your updates on this post.
    WSSBC Monarch Silver Member
    WSF Summit Life Member
    RMGA Life Member

The mountains are calling and I must go - John Muir