Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Garmin Inreach

Re: Garmin Inreach

Garmin does tutorial type webinar things if you can’t link up with someone in person.

Best is to have someone show you on theirs and mirror it with your own. If you are up in the Cariboo and want a hand just let me know.

Cheers
    Andy

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

I will be watching for Steven's comments regarding his new Spot. I have on old Gen 3 Spot and might
    upgrade to a unit capable of texting. I would be interested in any unit that shows precise locations.
    I absolutely trust that his assessment will be unbiased regardless if he is a Spot ambassador or not.
    To suggest otherwise is an insult to his character in my opinion.

I've had excellent results using the inReach SE (larger yellow one) over the past two years. I was surprised the unit's log says over I've sent and received over a 1,000 messages to date. I pair it with my iPhone for easy texting and use the phone for navigation with the GAIA GPS app. Subscription costs are controlled by changing plans several times per year...unlimited texting when I am hunting out of cell range for extended periods, and the most basic plan the rest of the time where the unit still works but the cost per text is high.

I also had (have) a Spot Gen II. It worked reliably for me, just had to leave it on for 15 or 20 minutes when I sent a message. Of course you never knew if it was received until you returned from your trip, which is certainly the advantage of two way messaging.

If I was buying today, I'd get the Garmin Mini for the size and weight reduction vs the SE or Explorer. Less battery life in the Mini, but it is still great based on a friends. But the SE is working so well I don't see the need to upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Lew View Post
    I will be watching for Steven's comments regarding his new Spot. I have on old Gen 3 Spot and might
    upgrade to a unit capable of texting. I would be interested in any unit that shows precise locations.
    I absolutely trust that his assessment will be unbiased regardless if he is a Spot ambassador or not.
    To suggest otherwise is an insult to his character in my opinion.
    Im with you here, there is a way to discuss something without taking shots at each other. I’m sure that we’re all grownups here and even though you may have a personal beef with someone this is not the time or place to air it. If your opinion differs with someone else’s that’s great because you’ll bring up other points of discussion and then everyone learns something new. It’s all about the approach, what’s our end goal here. Mine is to squeeze all of the knowledge from everyone and make my own informed decision. I’ve made mine with the 66i, now I just have to learn how to use it.....yikes....lol

I’ve had no problems with my Garmin Inreach Mini. Pairing with the Earthmate App is a bonus as typing from your smartphone is much easier and efficient. Also the weather updates seem to be decently accurate.
    I use my smartphone as a GPS so the mini was a better call for my setup.
    I hear a lot of guys talking about that new Zoleo Device.

Quote Originally Posted by never.truly.lost View Post
    Garmin does tutorial type webinar things if you can’t link up with someone in person.

Best is to have someone show you on theirs and mirror it with your own. If you are up in the Cariboo and want a hand just let me know.

Cheers

Andy

Thanks man, I appreciate that. We may be moving up to the Oyama lake area soon so you never know. I’ll check out the online tutorials and I guess go from there

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

Some very good points being made. I like the aspect of a 'stand alone' feature for texting.
    I also am comfortable with the Globalstar satellite coverage as it covers everywhere I'm likely
    ever to go this late in my life. Were I still bicycle touring, especially up in the far north, their
    coverage might be an issue steering me away to another satellite system.