Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Garmin Inreach

Re: Garmin Inreach

Just bought a used inreach explorer, activated it before a spring bear hunt in an area that had very spotty cell service. It was sure nice to have the added comfort of being able to text out and receive texts while out of the cell service. It made for a much more relaxed hunt. Using an iphone already as my main GPS for making tracks and recording waypoints, jumping apps over to the EarthMate software seemed a very good solution. There are a metric ton over GPS apps for the iphone which will correlate your position with great accuracy, but being able to share your position with a spouse or friend who is your "safety buddy" is a great "game-changer" solution for hunting in remote regions.
    Overall I'd rate the Garmin InReach system with a 9 out of 10 for a good safe solution for hunters and anglers. Make hunting by yourself a bit more doable.

Quote Originally Posted by lockmancpl View Post
    I updated to the Inreach SE too soon. The Spot X at that time was having a lot of teething issues with their software. It sounds like they have the bugs worked out now. The Inreach does work well enough, but I miss the quality of the maps sent with the location texts and the lack of free unlimited tracking of the Spot system. Inreach charges you for tracking at the lower cost plans (similar monthly pricing as Spot). The Inreach sent text location maps, when used as a stand alone, basically suck if you use them anywhere but back country. We use ours as as dual purpose RV-road trips and back country. With Spot it would name the location of where you had stopped for the night ie: Walmart, and was accurate enough to almost identify the parking spot number you were in. With Inreach you where somewhere near some big unnamed building with a white roof near some unnamed freeway. Spot maps off road where so accurate when you got back home to check where you had been you expected to see your parked truck in the satellite photo. When Inreach, you were somewhere close to that lake. Not a game changer for most, but paying a lot more to purchase it and then getting lower quality, and less services for the same monthly fees, kind of bites.
    Hmm I updated my first 2 generation Spot units..
    I used my Gen 2 SPOT on recent hunt..however both new hunters had Garmin minis.they worked as advertised.
    I will receive my new Gen X this week and keep members updated regarding its reliability and" ease of use and suitability for hunting and outdoor use.
    being Global Ambassador does come with $$ perks..however it MUST work..cost comes after workability..
    Cheers
    Steven

The Spot maps actually showed the precise tree I was behind waiting for deer..ya maps were always SPOT on..lol
    Cheers
    Srupp
    Last edited by srupp; 06-15-2020 at 06:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by never.truly.lost View Post
    Thanks for the heads up on the sale; purchased! The Explorer+ works but doesn't have enough mapping features for me (use it for work etc).

Looks like ol reliable orange is going to the chopping block.
    Lol, no problem. I guess a bunch of people must have noticed cause when I stopped by on Monday evening the Cabelas in Abbotsford was sold out. I placed a back order and paid for it at the sale price and was told that it would be up to 2 weeks.....still I did save $150

Quote Originally Posted by srupp View Post
    Hmm I updated my first 2 generation Spot units..
    I used my Gen 2 SPOT on recent hunt..however both new hunters had Garmin minis.they worked as advertised.
    I will receive my new Gen X this week and keep members updated regarding its reliability and" ease of use and suitability for hunting and outdoor use.
    being Global Ambassador does come with $$ perks..however it MUST work..cost comes after workability..
    Cheers
    Steven

The Spot maps actually showed the precise tree I was behind waiting for deer..ya maps were always SPOT on..lol
    Cheers
    Srupp
    Aren't you always preaching buy once cry once. You should sell your swarovski and leupold optics and buy Vortex and keep members " updated regarding its reliability".

I might have a vortex scope on cheap .22 but when it comes to saving my ass I'm going to go whats the best and what has been the most reliable over the years and thats the Inreach. The globalstar network (which SPOT uses ) has been saying its upgrading satellites etc etc for years. Im not betting my life on it that they are actually done it this time.

Buy once cry once unless you are a global ambassador??

BHB
    Quote Originally Posted by BiG Boar View Post
    Are you M or F? Might get more takers with tits.

I just got an inreach mini. On amazon for 399, haven’t got to play yet as i`m in camp and gf has it at home already..lol

what about this one and add on the BC Map ? RJ

https://www.gpscentral.ca/products/g...orer+plus.html

Quote Originally Posted by bighornbob View Post
    Aren't you always preaching buy once cry once. You should sell your swarovski and leupold optics and buy Vortex and keep members " updated regarding its reliability".

I might have a vortex scope on cheap .22 but when it comes to saving my ass I'm going to go whats the best and what has been the most reliable over the years and thats the Inreach. The globalstar network (which SPOT uses ) has been saying its upgrading satellites etc etc for years. Im not betting my life on it that they are actually done it this time.

Buy once cry once unless you are a global ambassador??

BHB
    Hmm pretty harsh..
    the SPOT hasn't failed me until this year's changeover of their computer program.10 years of 100 % reliability.
    I received the Spot X this afternoon.
    It has not been activated let alone fail.
    if it works..I will continue to use it..I have no reason to doubt it's efectivness
    SPOT Gen X and Garmin Inreach mini are supposed to do the same thing..
    So exactly how long have you used Garmin Inreach ? Has it ever failed ?
    Hmm watched Garmin mini fail 1x on recent bear hunt..
    I use what works..trade Swaro for Vortex ? Seriously...no thank you.

I do get to keep and use Swaro..X2
    Leopold X2
    If for some reason..any reason the Spot fails..I will share it and move on..untill then..I will HONESTLY share my experiences and my opinion
    Thank you for yours.
    Srupp

Hmmm lol actually I was a bit off..LMAO. .my Swarovski spotting scope did fail once..
    I had loaned it out to a friend in Alberta and during the night the tent caught on fire destroying everything in the fire..the Swarovski spotter was not flame/ fireproof.
    Full disclosure.
    Srupp

Quote Originally Posted by srupp View Post
    Hmmm lol actually I was a bit off..LMAO. .my Swarovski spotting scope did fail once..
    I had loaned it out to a friend in Alberta and during the night the tent caught on fire destroying everything in the fire..the Swarovski spotter was not flame/ fireproof.
    Full disclosure.
    Srupp
    Did BUDDY buy you a New One ? RJ

Ok so I pulled the trigger and bought a 66i l. The next logical step wound to learn how to use it or it’ll just be a gadget that I pack around. I bought it for the safety factor of staying in touch as I mostly hunt by myself. I looking for the best way to learn all of the functions of the unit, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks