Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Garmin Inreach

Garmin Inreach

Is there someone out there that I can talk with about these units..real world experiences ?
    please send a PM with phone number / time I can call ?

Thank you in advance
    Srupp

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Garmin Inreach

Looking for info as well, sport check has a pretty good deal on the Garmin inReach Explorer+ Satellite Communicator and GPS

Four eighty at the moment, seems like a good deal

I have one, not sure which version. ( not the newest one ). Works good, Msgs are not as fast as text sometimes takes a few min to send, and receive. Once I’ve called emergency 911 by accident as it got switched on and called while in my pack. I only text my wife. I don’t give my inreach info to anyone, she Vette’s all communication for me before she’ll text me when I’m hunting. Battery will last a long time.
    mine is easier to use paired with a smart phone. It will text stand alone buts it’s slow. I don’t use the mapping or navigation cause it’s not easy to use and I have a Garmin god downloaded with bc maps .

Sent you a PM. I like mine; wife knows where I am and easy to send messages back and forth. Messages are limited to 168 characters, but that is plenty to let the other party know what is going on.

What's the battery like in the mini.

Quote Originally Posted by sako79 View Post
    What's the battery like in the mini.
    Mine will last a 10 day moose trip but I only turn it on a couple times a day and send a few messages then turn it off.

My new InReach Explorer+ arrived from Cabelas yesterday. Decent deal for $480. Looking forward to being able to keep in touch for the times I am hunting solo this season. Ain't getting any younger.

I have the MINI and used it quite extensively for work and hunting. its a handy tool that allows you to maintain contact... there are options where you can just do pre loaded messages or compose messages from your smart phone. I even used the mapping to an extent last season.

Steven,
    I've used them since they first came out. They are not 100% reliable but much better than nothing. I've had lots of messages not go through, not received several messages, and had several instances where my invitation to "track my progress" never updated itself. My cabin is in a fairly deep valley and messages are notoriously unreliable.

Nothing is perfect, they are still pretty good and I think they are the best option on the market.

If you buy one we can chat a bit and I can share the techniques I use to compensate for the flaws I know about. Let me know if you don't still have my phone #
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

I go between Vancouver and Kamloops. If you want to play with mine anytime you're welcome to. I haven't used it in the deep woods. But, I have Garmin experience from boating and it's the same system. The texting has worked in my limited experience and the mapping is Garmin - as expected. YMMV