Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 12 Gauge shotguns are banned!!!!

12 Gauge shotguns are banned!!!!

Just saw this on gun nutz.

Guess we'll see how long until the law is changed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcGpz-2aBYk

sam

2. Site Sponsor

Re: 12 Gauge shotguns are banned!!!!

RCMP officially banned that one particular Iver Johnson based on bore diameter provided by the retailer.
    Last edited by Overlander2018; 05-08-2020 at 06:42 PM.

The OIC interpreted literally banned many 12 ga shotguns. The RCMP has been directed to not interpret the OIC literally, until such time as they are directed to interpret it another way. Many here see this as “common sense” by the RCMP. I think leaving the legality of 12ga shotguns up to an RCMP interpretation is incredibly short sighted.

Quote Originally Posted by emerson View Post
    I think leaving the legality of 12ga shotguns up to an RCMP interpretation is incredibly short sighted.

Ya think? But we are talking about the senior leadership of the Liberal Party of Canada here. So I'm happy to add "short sighted" to the collection of other not so flattering description I could use.

copied and pasted from CGN...

Important notice: Update on 10 and 12 gauge shotgun classification under the new prohibition
    On May 1st, 2020, the Government of Canada announced that it had made amendments to the Regulations Prescribing Certain Firearms and Other Weapons, Components and Parts of Weapons, Accessories, Cartridge Magazines, Ammunition and Projectiles as Prohibited, Restricted or Non-Restricted (SOR/98-462) [Classification Regulations] prescribing certain firearms as prohibited. One of the categories of the newly prohibited firearms include "Any firearm with a bore diameter of 20 mm or greater" (s. 95 of the Classification Regulations).

The Canadian Firearms Program (CFP) of the RCMP adheres to the Association of Firearm and Tool Mark Examiners' (AFTE) definition for bore diameter measurements. "The interior dimensions of the barrel forward of the chamber but before the choke." (Glossary of the Association of Firearm & Tool Mark Examiners by the AFTE Standardization Committee, 1st Ed. 1980). This is reflected in the RCMP's Firearms Reference Table (FRT) which clearly states that "...in shotguns, diameter of the barrel forward of the chamber but before the choke." The CFP also recognizes the Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers' Institute (SAAMI) standards regarding firearms and ammunition. The SAAMI chamber specifications for 10ga and 12ga shotguns do not include chokes therefore indicating that chokes are not part of the bore. Accordingly, it is the CFP's view that, in accordance with acceptable firearms industry standards for shotguns, the bore diameter measurement is considered to be at a point after the chamber, but before the choke.

Further, in making classification assessments of firearms which are reflected in the FRT, the CFP relies on recognized industry standard measurements. With respect to 10ga and 12ga shotguns, the CFP recognizes the SAAMI standard specifications which establish that the nominal (i.e. standard) bore diameter measurements for 10ga and 12ga shotguns are below the 20mm threshold (19.69mm for 10ga, 18.42mm for 12ga).

10 and 12 gauge shotguns and the over 20mm ban are a non issue. Continue to buy/sell/use and ignore the total shit being posted...
    . . . . .If I don't respond to your postings, maybe it is because you are on my "IGNORE" list
    . . . . . . . . . . . . I don't see the garbage you write. It's a wonderful tool

Ya, I think the Defender will be just fine. Good thing RPG's and similar stuff banned cause thats something all us regular guys have and use! Really!!!!!!??????��

The firearms community would rather this inane debate rather than focus on the real political driving force of this OIC.
    The only hope for the future of firearms ownership is to defeat this Government at the polls.
    If you are not preparing a Conservative leader and policies that can win the next election, you are engaged in a diversion.

Eventually the Liberals and NDP will try and restrict/ban all the big calibre long range rifles... along with all semi automatic rifles and shotguns and work their way down to single shot .22's. Only then will they rest. And they keep getting elected...
    . . . . .If I don't respond to your postings, maybe it is because you are on my "IGNORE" list
    . . . . . . . . . . . . I don't see the garbage you write. It's a wonderful tool

Good, thanks for clarifying this Denis!
    "When you judge another you don't define them, you define yourself."

Bump bump bump
    When in doubt, just pin it.