Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: 15 Bear Kills

Re: 15 Bear Kills

Quote Originally Posted by Retiredguy View Post
    I have a great amount of experience hunting bears by spot and stalk in BC and points north, as well as baiting in points east. Until one has actually done it all and seen what is involved and the different hunting situations that exist in different areas.......well it would be best to keep a bit of an open mind about it until you do gain some experience. Opinions are really only valid if based on knowledge.

Lastly, I firmly believe hunting sites should not be available for all to view unless they are a member of the site. I don't know when we will all learn that social media has allowed the anti's to use what we post against us and spread photos and video far and wide in their attacks on us.....much of which is proving to be effective in bringing about more and more restrictions against hunting, hunters and methods of hunting. When well we collectively try and be a little pro-active instead of the usual "f*** them, who cares what they think", because they are the ones gaining ground, not us.
    Very good post. Good common sense post. I have no doubt, experience is speaking here. Thank you sir!
    Always EXPECT the UNEXPECTED!

Quote Originally Posted by Gateholio View Post
    The same people that claim that baiting is not really hunting or takes no skill are also guys that will drive along a logging road, see a bear, jump out and shoot it. Legally.
    Spot on!!!

Any chance you can put up some of the skull dimensions of the 2 huge ones you took so far this year, that chocolate is a beauty and the big white chest on the black
    2 incrediable bears.

Well done , way to put together a Great video to watch from my easy chair. Second best thing to actually being there. This year was my first time ever sitting over a bait. i didnt think it looked challengeing or boring until i actually did it myself.
    Some observations being a Bow Hunter.
    - This provided me time to make an ethical shot where the bear was in a position that allowed me to tuck my broadhead into both lungs.
    - They are finicky eaters and take their time enjoying their meals.
    - I could be sure the size and Hide were in good condition before i made my mind up to shoot a Bear i was going to have mounted and invest my money into.
    - it's actually the most fun you can have with your clothes on.

To bad some have to jump on a post holier than thow .
    It takes a long time to sit and write your story out and endless hours editing so others can enjoy it. Retired guy summed up hunting perfect!!
    Hunters bashing hunters though, come on dude , sure you have an opinion like everyone is entitled to , maybe just keep it to yourself like a Grown up should be able to.

Quote Originally Posted by Retiredguy View Post
    I have a great amount of experience hunting bears by spot and stalk in BC and points north, as well as baiting in points east. Until one has actually done it all and seen what is involved and the different hunting situations that exist in different areas.......well it would be best to keep a bit of an open mind about it until you do gain some experience. Opinions are really only valid if based on knowledge.

Lastly, I firmly believe hunting sites should not be available for all to view unless they are a member of the site. I don't know when we will all learn that social media has allowed the anti's to use what we post against us and spread photos and video far and wide in their attacks on us.....much of which is proving to be effective in bringing about more and more restrictions against hunting, hunters and methods of hunting. When well we collectively try and be a little pro-active instead of the usual "f*** them, who cares what they think", because they are the ones gaining ground, not us.
    I thought about this many times, "visitors" should not be able to read everything on here and even new members should be checked out.
    I can imagine an "infiltrator" signing up just to use what we say and post here against us as hunters.
    WLM
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it. - Clint Eastwood
    "Lots of critters to still shoot. And there'll be no quitters until we bag some critters" - 180grainer
    "Politicians should wear sponsor jackets like Nascar drivers, then we know who owns them" - Robin Williams

Flush the Turd!

Located and residing on the unceded territory of European Settler's traditional land.
    Click here to learn more 🖕

Quote Originally Posted by LBM View Post
    Any chance you can put up some of the skull dimensions of the 2 huge ones you took so far this year, that chocolate is a beauty and the big white chest on the black
    2 incrediable bears.
    The chocolate green scored at 21" and the black 21 4/16. Now to wait for the drying period which starts today. I'm hoping it doesn't dry a quarter inch, but I've never entered a bear, so I don't really know.

The problem with the video is that it glorifies the kill, not the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by skibum View Post
    The problem with the video is that it glorifies the kill, not the hunt.
    I completely agree.

I'm starting to think these videos are not really doing us any favours.
    It's not easy for most people to digest a kill and we don't hunt to kill (at least I don't).

Maybe it would be a better strategy to film everything else except the kill.
    I figure video recording and social media are all new technologies and the infatuation will pass.
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

One thing I’ve learned as I’ve gotten older, is that most people are ok with giving away your rights as long as they don’t think it will impact them.
    We see it in hunter vs hunter topics all the time.

We have to accept that even as hunters we have different tastes. I’ve killed a lot of animals but I don’t enjoy watching videos or hunting shows that focus heavily on kill shots. Not a judgment or a condemnation, I just look for the type of content that I enjoy.

I’ve never hunted over bait so I have no experience. But I do know that I have a strong need for DIY activities including hunting. So if I was to scout, prep, feed and maintain a bait site, I’m sure I would feel very accomplished. But again that’s just my own personal needs and tastes.

To the OP, thanks for sharing.
    Last edited by mod7rem; 06-11-2020 at 03:42 PM.

^^^^^ a lot of my videos show the whole process. I just made this vid as I thought it was neat. For me I like everything about the hunt, even the moment of truth. The whole process is rewarding and exciting.