Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whitetail territory

Hybrid View

Whitetail territory

I have recently found a location that seems to have a decent number of white tails currently.A couple of questions? If you are seeing them in the spring do they stay in that area throughout the year. This isn’t farmland it’s about 3000 foot elevation in small cutblocks with swamps and patches of thick timber. This seems to be there feeding area do they typically bed on ridges above or right in the thick swampy areas?thanks for any info

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Whitetail territory

Let me know where it is and I’ll help you out. Hahah. They’ll be there.

it depends on the area. Where I hunt them they get pushes down by the snow and feed back up the mountains in the spring and summer. There is normally part of the population that stays low all year around but if your seeing large numbers right now that might not be the case in September.

Whitetails are an incredible species, some might move to higher elevations to feed during the summer/early fall but some will stay lower elevation year round...if quad trails are cut in or other forms of pressure they usually don't stick around, or will turn nocturnal....they do like thick timber and swamps, and if you find cuts away from pressure, first light or last light is a great time to catch them coming to feed on the edges...good luck..

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    Whitetails are an incredible species, some might move to higher elevations to feed during the summer/early fall but some will stay lower elevation year round...if quad trails are cut in or other forms of pressure they usually don't stick around, or will turn nocturnal....they do like thick timber and swamps, and if you find cuts away from pressure, first light or last light is a great time to catch them coming to feed on the edges...good luck..
    I have also seen dozens in a cutblock and not ONE deer track on the road into the area, I thought it was a total waste of time until I took a walk into the block itself.

Hey Russ, Now's a good time to invest in a camera

Throw down a block of salt and a camera on one of their game trails in the timber and see what happens throughout the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    Hey Russ, Now's a good time to invest in a camera

Throw down a block of salt and a camera on one of their game trails in the timber and see what happens throughout the summer.
    that is something I plan on doing. Most likely put one in the thicker timber and one on the ridges above. Might be a month or two before I can hike into the areas.

Could be there year round, 3000 to 4500 elevation is where I tend to find them.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost View Post
    I have recently found a location that seems to have a decent number of white tails currently.A couple of questions? If you are seeing them in the spring do they stay in that area throughout the year. This isn’t farmland it’s about 3000 foot elevation in small cutblocks with swamps and patches of thick timber. This seems to be there feeding area do they typically bed on ridges above or right in the thick swampy areas?thanks for any info
    They will be there when its time for hunting, they likely won't be feeding in the open block.
    Whitetails have preferred bedding area's, thats for sure. They could be bedded on the edge of a swamp where they can take a few steps and disappear into the thick bush.

A classic place to set up an ambush whether it be ground blind, tree stand etc....is where a ridge runs down into a swamp or creek bottom. Try not to disturb the bedding area's by letting your scent blow into the area, they won't follow their usual routine if they know your there.
    When you find a good spot don't show or tell anyone, otherwise they will stink up your spot.

some migrate most dont..in the kootneys they migrate hard down to montana..in kamloops i see them in the same 1km squares year round...same with princeton..sounds like you found a pocket.put in your time during season and you will harvest..nov 22 whitetails are very dumb.