Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gutless method

Gutless method

How many of you employ the gutless method on bear? Is there much meat left behind - thinking of trying it when I bag one.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Gutless method

Not me. I keep the ribs intact for roasting, same with the shanks and Mrs. wants every bone saved for soup, so it all comes home.

sure did. Used the Gutless on a bear on Sunday. The gutless method doesn't waste any more meat than the traditional method. If you want full ribs, can easily get them using the gutless, or you can take the rib meat right off the ribs on the spot

Quote Originally Posted by MichelD View Post
    Not me. I keep the ribs intact for roasting, same with the shanks and Mrs. wants every bone saved for soup, so it all comes home.
    x2 for me. I'll just add that I don't like spending a lot more time in the bush with sleeves rolled up, hands smelly with blood as is the case when field dressing an animal, especially in bear country. That's covers just about anywhere in BC. Just get her done quick and in the back of the truck. I'll do the rest at home as I process all the meat myself. 5 to 10 minutes is all I need to field dress the popular way.
    Always EXPECT the UNEXPECTED!

Gutless is a great way to cool meat down in hot spring weather.

I've seen videos before but does anyone have a link to a video of gutless that they really like? I've never done it but am intrigued.

Typical field dress vs gutless is similar to the difference between gutting a fish and filleting a fish. Which do you prefer?
    I've used the gutless method exclusively for several years now and like it a lot. My hope is to one day get an animal big enough that this method saves me a LOT of packing.
    There are many youtube videos out there about this topic; I'd recommend watching several, on different species of animals.
    The first video I ever saw was of a guy in Hawaii preparing a wild hog for transport home.

I avoid cutting into meat as long as possible in the bush...I even freeze untrimmed roasts sometimes doing the outside trimming just before cooking. Dog loves the trimmings...for me, no matter how hard I try, if I have made a cut exposing meat in the bush I will have to trim it again later...

Gutless and d-bone. Most of the time a long way from vehicle and hunting partner is not close by

There is no difference in the amount of meat and bone recovered by doing gutless vs traditional gutting method.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!