Thread: Looking for a hunting dog

Looking for a hunting dog

Just put down one of our dogs. Looking for a pup GWP or other pointer type for upland and some waterfowl.

Any leads on upcoming litters?

thanks.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Looking for a hunting dog

Hard to go wrong with any of the good versatile breeds,,,,,Deutsch-Drahthaar, Wire-haired Pointing Griffon, Pudelpointer, etc. They can do it all! They'll point upland, retrieve equally well on land or water (waterfowl), and track and hunt fur. Now to find one in Canada is easier said than done. Not sure anyone breeds any of these bird dogs in BC so you'll definitely have to look further east.

There's definitely breeders in the States but what with the pandemic I don't it will be possible to get your name on a breeder's list knowing that the dogs can't be shipped or picked up south of the border.

I got my griff 3 years ago in Quebec from a very reputable breeder that I would definitely go back to. One thing you may not be aware of is versatiles almost always have docked tails but if you were to buy a versatile pup now in Canada it wouldn't have a docked tail (and dew claws would likely be intact, as well) unless the breeder did these procedures himself because vets can do longer do it by law. There still may be one or two provinces that haven't adopted this recent law.

Re: Looking for a hunting dog

I got my Pudelpointer out of Alberta. At that time there was two breeders and canada and one in Idaho.

Put your name on a wait list for the best dog from the best breeder you can find and worry about the money later haha