Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone know the ins and outs of the Alberta draw system?

Anyone know the ins and outs of the Alberta draw system?

Have had a buddy in Alberta for a few years now in giant mulie territory, and finally convinced him to get his hunting license and gun license luckily just before this shit storm...

Just wondering if anyone has any tips or suggestions on how to navigate their draw system or if there are any tricks to it like some of the US draws.

also figured this forum could use some hunting related banter lol

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Anyone know the ins and outs of the Alberta draw system?

Quote Originally Posted by RyoTHC View Post
    Have had a buddy in Alberta for a few years now in giant mulie territory, and finally convinced him to get his hunting license and gun license luckily just before this shit storm...

Just wondering if anyone has any tips or suggestions on how to navigate their draw system or if there are any tricks to it like some of the US draws.

also figured this forum could use some hunting related banter lol
    What do you want to know? The draw system is pretty simple. Put in with your friend as a group and just choose “priority draw only” until you both have enough points to get a draw tag. You can look on Alberta Relm to see what draw points were required the year before and that will give you a good idea if you have close to enough points. It’s obviously dependant on the priority points of the individuals entering each year so it can go up or down by a few points.

Muley’s in a good non-CWD zone go anywhere between 5 and 10 years. A high CWD zone where they give out a ton of tags will be 3-4 years but the odds of getting a good buck go down greatly.

Agree with the comment above. I'm from Alberta as well and there isn't anything special about it. I personally like the system in Alberta a lot more than BC's as it let's you plan your draws out versus the somewhat random draw system we have in BC. It is pretty ridiculous in my opinion.

If it is a good mule deer area down south, expect to be putting in for a at least 6 years before drawing. Priority system, but does not have extra preference points that can be purchased like some of the draws in the states. You can 999 your draw to build points if you don't plan on hunting but want to build priority. Lots of guys prefer Alberta system to BC but not me. I like that everyone has a chance to draw here every time. In Alberta, you are just paying to wait in line. Good luck to your buddy. Hopefully you can get over there and teach him the ropes! Spot and stalk mule deer hunts are a lot of fun.

I put in for LEH Roosevelt Elk on the Island for 25 years straight without ever being drawn but at least here in Alberta I know when I’m getting close to having enough priority points to draw a certain species and can actually plan a hunt for more than a few months in advance. If you are a lucky kind of guy then I can see the benefit to the BC system but that’s not me...

And if you want to just gain priority points choose the “priority only” application box. The draw code “999” has not been used for several years now. A lot of people still call it 999 but every year there are people who spend considerable time looking for the 999 box and it doesn’t exist anymore.

yup what Fuzzy said.
    Easy and simple
    Promoting the sport of Archery and Bowhunting
    NCCP and IBEF Certification

Custom Knives and Game Calls

Quote....."Life's tough......it's even tougher if you're stupid"........John Wayne
    Quote....."It is far better to be alone than in bad company"........ George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Blacktail View Post
    yup what Fuzzy said.
    Easy and simple

so if I have my WIN card. I can start building priority points and then I’d just need to hunt with him if and when i get a draw?

Quote Originally Posted by RyoTHC View Post
    so if I have my WIN card. I can start building priority points and then I’d just need to hunt with him if and when i get a draw?
    No as a resident Canadian ( non Albertan ) you have to apply with an Alberta Resident in order to enter the draw.
    You can't apply on your own.
    Promoting the sport of Archery and Bowhunting
    NCCP and IBEF Certification

Custom Knives and Game Calls

Quote....."Life's tough......it's even tougher if you're stupid"........John Wayne
    Quote....."It is far better to be alone than in bad company"........ George Washington

Correct me if I am wrong but if you apply you need your sponsors # and that burns up his draw on that animal also. Fuzzybiscuit sounds like this is the case. As long as sponsor is OK with that draw. Also as draws for out of province are pretty limited what I remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Farmer001 View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong but if you apply you need your sponsors # and that burns up his draw on that animal also. Fuzzybiscuit sounds like this is the case. As long as sponsor is OK with that draw. Also as draws for out of province are pretty limited what I remember.
    You both need to apply but you can choose “priority application only”. No chance of getting a draw and no loss of points. I have a buddy from BC who has been gaining priority points with me for 6 years on Bull Elk. If he decided to pull a draw one year with someone else he could. They would both just have to put in together that year. If the resident he put in with only had 5 years priority then that is all the points they would have towards the draw.