Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Garmin Inreach Explorer

Re: Garmin Inreach Explorer

i run the mini. Basic plan costs me $16.50 or something like that per month. I have it on every month.
    During hunting season, i go over on my messages, so it's likely an additional $20 for oct/nov. Its nice to have, especially now that i'm a dad. I can get updates on what my daughter is doing.

The only thing i do not like .... it has issues sending messages when in the timber. The thick canopy can affect most GPS units, but still, be nice to see this fixed with a slightly stronger sensor or something.

That looks like a great price!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Harvest the Land View Post
    .............. In the off season you can simply essentially deactivate the plan and pay somewhere in the $5 per month range when you're not using it. Ya it kind of sucks that you can't just completely deactivate and pay $0 per month in off season, but you'll get over it. ..............
    Suspend the sub and pay the $5 minimum, or de-activate completely and pay the activation fee again when you want to re-activate. You have to weigh the costs to decide which works
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

So, my Gen 1 SPOT service is $295 per year. It has been great, never failed but the inreach technology is a massive improvement.

As a start, I opted for the Inreach Freedom Recreation Plan over the basic safety plan. Gives me 40 text messages and has unlimited tracking points and location pings. When I use my spot and am hiking into or out of an area, I like the track feature as it gives my loved ones a location if something happens and I just stop sending a daily "OK" message. I nearly fell to my death several years ago on a solo goat hunt when a massive rock let go and nearly took me down the mountain with it. The track mode would of given them my location to find what's left. And my wife is well aware of that missing Spatsizi hunter and I wouldn't want her to have to endure what that poor family has and is still going through.

But I like the flexibility to be able to start and pause the service and change plans types which may happen after I get some actual field use.

Anyhow, took all of about an hour to create my account, activate, create my preferences/contacts/custom messages, pair my in reach with my cell phone and test everything.

I really like that you get visual and audible indication when a message is successfully sent. Like allot of hunters, my parents are getting up in age and my young grandson has changed my perspective on some things.

So knowing that my wife can now contact me and let me know of something like a family emergency is huge because some things are more important than finishing a hunt.
    Last edited by Ron.C; 05-05-2020 at 07:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch View Post
    Thats not a sale price when it is the regular price as elsewhere
    Inreach has benefits, but are they worth the new cost+tax to you
    I found a 1st gen. model used for $200, it does all I need plus

Allans right about the convenience, we don't need two-way radios now if everyone has an inreach, no talking just thumbing
    Can you link us to another place where they're the same price? I just bought one from a store in Quebec for $502 and it was over $80 more everywhere else.

Edit: I checked and they are now on sale for $479 all over the place. That is still$100 off from a week ago.
    Last edited by IslandWanderer; 05-05-2020 at 08:16 PM.
    When in doubt, just pin it.

When they drop the price right across the country it's because they are clearing out old models before the new ones come in.