Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much do I really need to upgrade?

How much do I really need to upgrade?

I'm picking up my bow again for the first time in years and I was chatting with someone I know that's into bowhunting and he says my stuff all needs to be upgraded since everything was bought in 2006 - 2007. At most, I'm thinking I need to get a new string and perhaps upgrade the limbs to gain more poundage for hunting since I think I'm only pulling 45 - 50lbs. I can't remember. I could probably use newer arrows I guess.

My set up is:

Bowtech Equalizer

Copper John 5 pin sight

Quiktune rest

Mid-budget stabilizer which I can't remember the brand of

Fletchhunter Shorty release

Carbon Force Radial X-Weave 300gr arrows

A selection of Montec and Muzzy broadheads.

Is my stuff really that outdated or am I good to basically refresh it a bit?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: How much do I really need to upgrade?

I’m still pretty green archery wise but the stuff out there today is probably a lot higher tech than what you have. That being said I’m sure guys were killing things just fine with what you have. A new string would be good and if you can pull more weight and find replacement limbs you might want to go that way but you would likely need heavier spined arrows if you do that.

By today’s standards your arrows are pretty light if they are only 300 grains with heads. If they are 400+ grains you are probably good.

I did just upgrade my bow to a new one after learning on my first bow I got a few years back and it isn’t cheap. My old bow is in the for sale section wink wink

String and cables! 45-50 lb is plenty. Just get it tuned and set up, buy fixed bleade broadheads (G5 Carbons or Montecs are excellent), practice and go have fun.
    "When you judge another you don't define them, you define yourself."

Thanks for the info guys. Glad to hear it. A full new setup really isn't in the budget, so a tune up will be the way I go. I'm gonna make sure I outshoot this guy next time we hit the range just to prove a point. LOL

I had gotten away from archery for 5 or so years until I drew an Island elk LEH. Practiced a ton and broke one of my cables about 2 weeks before my hunt so yes, getting new string and cables on a bow that has been sitting is cheap and worth it. My bow is an old bowtech allegiance probably 16 years old. My bows draw weight has been set at 52 lbs from the day I tuned it. My Rosie bull didnt know it was being shot with an older bow and arrow setup (muzzy 100 gr broadhead and beman hunter arrows.) It didnt care that my arrow was only traveling at about 275 fps. Same old drop away rest and tropy ridge sight that's been on it since I bought the bow.
    Last edited by Ron.C; 05-03-2020 at 10:43 PM.

Like other said:
    new strings and cables then after that all that matters is that you can make good hits and your broad heads are sharp.

It only needs to be upgraded if you want to. Newer bows and accessories may have small improvements but your bow will still work fine. The improvements have been smaller refinements rather than revolutionary changes.

The main thing is to go over it and ensure everything is in good order before expecting too much of it. A new string and cables won’t hurt, and may be a good idea, but isn’t an absolute necessity if it has been checked and deemed in good order. Age is only one factor that determines if strings and cables need replacing, but if they are at all questionable then replace them.

Your friend sounds like a gear snob more than a truly knowledgeable archer, I would take his opinions with a few grains of salt.

The arrows are likely not 300gr, but 300 spine, which in Carbon Force is actually a 340 spine as their numbering is not the spine but a series number for their arrows, and you consult a chart to pick the right spine.

Your set up is definitely not that bad a new string would definitely be recommended and I would also recommend using a cut on contact 2 blade broadhead or a cut on contact 3 bleeder like the VPA or the montec and stay away from mech broad heads untill over 60 # bow and 420 grains of arrow weight

Maybe a string, then go have fun! I shoot a 90’s Oneida and don’t need a newer, faster bow.

All my gear is circa 2010, very short ata bows, just picked up a bow hunting mag, seems short ata bows are all that, looks like I was 10 years ahead of the trend. I think you should do both, upgrade and enjoy your older gear, archery companies innovate very quickly, and that makes you think your gear is old and weak.