Season is off to a great start. Biggest bear to date. Been out once prior to today, but that was a couple weeks ago just to look at conditions. Today was the first real hunt, and even then was really just supposed to be more scouting. Went out after work, and found this big guy grazing on a hill side quite some distance away. Decided to get out and stalk up, wind totally against us, saved by being fat uphill from the bear. Stalking forward, it knew something was up, as it kept moving away, but slowly. We followed and watched it long enough to make sure there were no cubs, though we were certain it was a male.

Got within 120 meters, but screened by brush, couldn't get a good shot. Dropped out packs and stalked forward and around, and there it was, broadside, 60 meters away down a steep hill. I knelt down and took aim, and just as the bear started to turn to look at me, I squeezed the trigger. Bear instantly hit the ground and rolled down the hill, almost into the river. I quickly chambered another round and fired again, worried the bear wasn't dead and would run into the water. I missed, but it didn't matter, the bear was dead from the first shot. Cutting my tag, while watching a minute for movement, I approached the bear while my friend kept it in his sights. I confirmed death, and we walked back to the truck, which as we discovered, was 2 kilometers away. Always seems so much shorter when you're after an animal.

Driving back to the site, fortunately not far from a road, but down a steep ass hill, buddy and I struggle our asses off hauling this bear up the hill to the point we could rope it to the truck and drag it the rest of the way. Brought it home, skinned it and now it's hanging in my shed, absolutely perfect temperature tonight.

I'd post photos but I have no idea how to do that on here.