Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: hot off the press

Re: hot off the press

Quote Originally Posted by Pauly View Post
    Being well educated doesn’t make anyone smart their is a difference. Their is nothing productive about conspiracy theories.
    Apparently education doesn’t make YOU smart, that’s for sure.

You are obviously tolerant to pain as you keep beating your head against the wall here...
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

You have to understand, if it was possible for people to own fully auto weapons, that does not mean everyone would. In addition, those who would own them would not be likely to be those with criminal intent. It would still be illegal to use these guns in the commission of crimes and most people simply are not intending to commit crimes. I have known a few guys who did own fully auto firearms of various types and, trust me, they were no threat whatsoever to society in general. One guy did kill quite a few watermelons but they were a legal target! The point is, the people who are likely to collect and shoot these guns are not people who are likely to use them in crimes. I know a lot of people who own 50 caliber rifles and know of none who have committed any sort of criminal act with these guns.
    I do believe their should be some restrictions on who can own firearms of any type. People who are criminals should not own firearms. People who are drug addicts, people who are demonstrably mentally ill, people who are alcoholic wife beaters, should not own firearms. I have to add, when some one IS banned from owning firearms, he should be watched to make sure he does not acquire them. This might have prevented the NS massacre.
    We, as a society, are strangely reluctant to restrict those people who really might be a problem and strangely willing to restrict those who have proven themselves not to be. A person who has owned and used firearms, responsibly, for more than a half-century, is usually not a problem regardless of the type of firearm being discussed. At my local gun club, absolutely everyone who is an active shooter could be allowed to own a sub-machinegun with no threat whatsoever to society at large. Most, if given the option, would probably not avail themselves of the opportunity but, if they did, it would not compromise the safety of the community.
    Much is made of the amount of gun violence in the United States. It is seldom mentioned, in the majority of cases, the use of the firearm is incidental to some other criminal activity whether it be organized crime (gangs and drugs) or random crime (robberies and assaults). The refusal of the government to address these underlying issues is contributory. It is easier to try and indoctrinate the people to believe that firearms restrictions or bans will fix things right up. GD

Quote Originally Posted by limit time View Post
    Since you are the “noob” with 3 posts... did you come to stir the pot ? Do you even hunt (with a gun) or own A gun ? Remember, you’re coming to us not the other way around. ( And what’s the other site you referring to ?
    Don't be such a dink. This isn't your forum.

Can I suggest to the moderators that this thread & any others concerning the new gun ban be moved to an area that only members can access & further that any future discussions should only be in these areas.

Also since some on here including "pauly" who was a recent member should only be allowed access to these areas after 3 months.

I propose this as obviously some comments were deliberately made to elicit a strong push back that could quite conceivably be used to support an anti agenda even though we understand why it was made it could easily be misconstrued.

I would just like to remind everyone about the incident with a firefighter & deer that hit the local news!!!

If this is not possible then I would urge members to think carefully before replying in areas visible to everyone.
    Last edited by BriarPatch; 05-03-2020 at 10:18 AM.

Grey Dog I think you summed the situation up perfectly in post #106 & #112

I would also like to add if you look up the crime statistics for a particular town/city and the amount of gun related crime it will invariably be on one side of town which will not be the side frequented by legitimate gun owners and the number of home invasions, assaults etc. in the other parts of town will be considerably less due to people having the ability and laws in place allowing them to look after themselves.
    Last edited by BriarPatch; 05-03-2020 at 09:55 AM.

Be hard on topics not hard on people.

Quote Originally Posted by GreyDog View Post
    You have to understand, if it was possible for people to own fully auto weapons, that does not mean everyone would. In addition, those who would own them would not be likely to be those with criminal intent. It would still be illegal to use these guns in the commission of crimes and most people simply are not intending to commit crimes. I have known a few guys who did own fully auto firearms of various types and, trust me, they were no threat whatsoever to society in general. One guy did kill quite a few watermelons but they were a legal target! The point is, the people who are likely to collect and shoot these guns are not people who are likely to use them in crimes. I know a lot of people who own 50 caliber rifles and know of none who have committed any sort of criminal act with these guns.
    I do believe their should be some restrictions on who can own firearms of any type. People who are criminals should not own firearms. People who are drug addicts, people who are demonstrably mentally ill, people who are alcoholic wife beaters, should not own firearms. I have to add, when some one IS banned from owning firearms, he should be watched to make sure he does not acquire them. This might have prevented the NS massacre.
    We, as a society, are strangely reluctant to restrict those people who really might be a problem and strangely willing to restrict those who have proven themselves not to be. A person who has owned and used firearms, responsibly, for more than a half-century, is usually not a problem regardless of the type of firearm being discussed. At my local gun club, absolutely everyone who is an active shooter could be allowed to own a sub-machinegun with no threat whatsoever to society at large. Most, if given the option, would probably not avail themselves of the opportunity but, if they did, it would not compromise the safety of the community.
    Much is made of the amount of gun violence in the United States. It is seldom mentioned, in the majority of cases, the use of the firearm is incidental to some other criminal activity whether it be organized crime (gangs and drugs) or random crime (robberies and assaults). The refusal of the government to address these underlying issues is contributory. It is easier to try and indoctrinate the people to believe that firearms restrictions or bans will fix things right up. GD
    Thanks for the insight and for taking the time to write it - hugely appreciated.

As someone else noted earlier I'm new - only about a year into firearms ownership and hunting. The past year or so has challenged a lot of preconceptions I had around both. The one thing that has surprised me the most is how quickly those views changed as I learned more, and how murky so much still is as I'm a complete beginner. I've spent a lot of time reading and listening to more experienced people like yourself and it's been incredibly helpful.

I've tried to become a part of the community by attending events and joining a range, and over the last few months have been taking a lot of info from this forum. Throughout, I have found almost everyone I've come into contact with to be thoughtful, patient and generous with their time and knowledge, and for that I thank you.

Jamesonm you are a relatively new member defending a very new member asking a somewhat controversial question in an open forum against a long time member & contributor whats your angle?

Quote Originally Posted by Bollo View Post
    Thanks for the insight and for taking the time to write it - hugely appreciated.

As someone else noted earlier I'm new - only about a year into firearms ownership and hunting. The past year or so has challenged a lot of preconceptions I had around both. The one thing that has surprised me the most is how quickly those views changed as I learned more, and how murky so much still is as I'm a complete beginner. I've spent a lot of time reading and listening to more experienced people like yourself and it's been incredibly helpful.

I've tried to become a part of the community by attending events and joining a range, and over the last few months have been taking a lot of info from this forum. Throughout, I have found almost everyone I've come into contact with to be thoughtful, patient and generous with their time and knowledge, and for that I thank you.
    First, let me say, welcome to our community. I didn't notice your nooby status before. In general, shooters and hunters are much like any other group; some are good, thoughtful and tolerant people. Some are flaming a--holes. Still, as with the rest of society, the vast majority are relatively harmless. One has to avoid the tendency to want to pigeonhole people. I actually know some Liberals (pause while I spit on the ground) who, apart from that tragic flaw, are basically good folks; just misguided. I also know some avowed righteous individuals who are, in reality, rotten to the core. The premise behind the gun ban is flawed in the extreme but the Liberals don't care. It may be a stupid premise but it is their's.

Quote Originally Posted by BriarPatch View Post
    Jamesonm you are a relatively new member defending a very new member asking a somewhat controversial question in an open forum against a long time member & contributor whats your angle?
    Looking for a free lunch. My account of the same name is from 2015 or 2016, just forgot the login information.