Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bear meat! You freeze right away or no?

Re: Bear meat! You freeze right away or no?

You’d have to go along ways to over cook bear especially fall bear with all its fat.
    You can crap in one hand and wish in the other and see which one fills up first

Quote Originally Posted by Steeleco View Post
    Hunted, cut and wrapped many a bear in my shop. To my knowledge NONE have had trick, we cut when time permits. Clear wrap then butcher paper. It's the cooking that kills the bug not the cold. As with all meat, keep it clean cook it right and enjoy!!
    Can you actually "see" that a bear has trick. I've skinned out a number of bears, but I couldn't say which had it and which didn't. I guess, cause I didn't know what to look for.
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed,

Collectivism is Slavery

Support a Woman's right to arm herself.

Jan 13th
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj9Pm8-tFuU

Quote Originally Posted by Pauly View Post
    You’d have to go along ways to over cook bear especially fall bear with all its fat.

???

If you trim all the fat off before freezing it's just like any other game meat.

The fat is on the outside.

No it’s not lol a lot you know .. bear is well marbled with fat
    You can crap in one hand and wish in the other and see which one fills up first

My mistake. Sorry.

I guess after 44 years of shooting, butchering and cooking bears I know phoqu-all.

Quote Originally Posted by MontyLake View Post
    My mistake. Sorry.

I guess after 44 years of shooting, butchering and cooking bears I know phoqu-all.
    That makes 2 of us? Pauly being silly I feel
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

Arrow Re: Bear meat! You freeze right away or no?

Quote Originally Posted by Steeleco View Post
    That makes 2 of us? Pauly being silly I feel
    Nope. Just being the mouthy little pissant that he is.
    Reality.

Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

i agree with pauly this time....lots of fat entrained in the meat.

Plenty of testing on trich strains that infect bears.

Some notable ones are that freezing for several years, varying temperatures between -2 and -30 did nothing to destroy it... still ready to party, eggs/cysts ready to hatch many years later. Bear meat and fox meat both tested.

The freezing myth comes from some trich strains in the south that were an issue in pork meat half a century ago.

You can't kill trich in BC bears by freezing, for 3 weeks, 3 months, 3 years or even a decade. It just doesn't happen. Around 15-20% of bears in the Fraser Valley have trich and the number gets higher (75-90%) up in the territories.

You only have to do one thing to make it a non issue and that is cook it to 165 (instant death for trich) or study and be confident in lower temperatures at longer durations. The data is available... X minutes at 140F is safe, Y minutes at 150F is is safe. All I know is internal temperature of 165F is instant death and safe. I don't cook beat meat for steaks... mostly ground for hamburgers, sloppy joes, burritos, etc... I can cook it at 165 for 1 minute or 5 minutes and it tastes the same. If I wanted a "well done" (because that is the only way to do it) bear steak, I'd figure out the X minutes at 140F so I could get away with my steak "slightly well less done" .... but I prefer ground

I do freeze it as soon as I can. I treat bear meat as if I acquired a 4 liter jug of milk in the bush on a 20-30 degree day and want to keep it good. That means get it cool fast (put game bags in garbage bag, soak it in snow run-off drainage (coming out from ice a few hundred meters above) plop it in the cooler with ice... if it is late in the day and I have no ice, as long as temps are dipping good and I got the meat cool I will wait until morning before ripping home. Then we get busy with the grinder and vaccum packing... if I'm confident the meat was at cool temps so far throughout the process, I'm fine with leaving half it in the fridge until the next day... if I shot it 10AM and didn't get it home until 4PM, was fighting off flies the entire time, no ice along the way, I make darn sure it gets processed and frozen ASAP.
    Last edited by caddisguy; 05-03-2020 at 06:24 PM.