Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bear Kill & Cook

Bear Kill & Cook

Ok this thread is for all the first time bear hunters wanting to know how to kill, process and cook black bear. From start to finish. I’m sure there are many hunters out there that would love to hunt them, but don’t have a clue where to start. I’m hoping there are many knowledgeable bear hunters on here that are willing to share their hunting and cooking experience with us. Hunting techniques, and most importantly recipes welcome .

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Bear Kill & Cook

Pm sent to you. If you want to talk bears hit me up via pm and we can have a good chat. Where are you on the island? Most important thing about bears is have a weapon you are comfortable and proficient with. Doesn’t have to be huge but the bigger bullets definitely have more stopping power. I just shot one with my new 45/70 and dammmmm it didn’t move a foot. But I have also killed lots with a bow so shot placement is huge. Any way check you inbox.

Last edited by operator jon; 04-30-2020 at 11:40 AM.

What are some good spots for black bear on the island? In the courtenay, Campbell River area?

Hey guys thanks for the posts, snipersights I did not receive your pm. I have had plenty encounters with bears, I just have never thought of shooting one.. Any recipes to get us hungry, where’s Pauly with his BQ bear rib recipe?

Quote Originally Posted by Spy View Post
    Hey guys thanks for the posts, snipersights I did not receive your pm. I have had plenty encounters with bears, I just have never thought of shooting one.. Any recipes to get us hungry, where’s Pauly with his BQ bear rib recipe?
    I’ll have to dig it up ! I’ll post it when I get the time
    You can crap in one hand and wish in the other and see which one fills up first

Shot my first bear in November 1976.

My advice?

Shoot it.

Gut it.

Skin it.

Cool it.

Get it home.

Cut and wrap it.

Freeze it.

Anyone ever use the bear belly for bacon?

Quote Originally Posted by Pauly View Post
    Anyone ever use the bear belly for bacon?
    Mmmmmm bacon now we talking.

1 tsp cumin
    1 tsp celery seed
    1/4 cup paprika
    1 tsp chilli powder
    1 tsp red pepper
    1 tsp garlic powder
    1 tsp onion powder
    2 tbs coarse salt
    1/2 cup brown sugar... mix well apply to whatever meat your using let sit up to two days
    for ribs preheat oven to 450f place ribs in pan add 3 to 5 cups of water cover with foil cook for 1/2 hour then reduce heat to 350f cook for 2 hours. Then slather with bbq sauce and cook 3 more hours. The amount of water used depends on the amount of ribs being done and you have the option to finish the last few hours in the bbq. Also this spice mix is wicked good on a deer or moose roast