Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Keeping mice and rats out of your hunting truck

Keeping mice and rats out of your hunting truck

Has anyone found a dependable was of keeping pests out of your trucks while in the bush? I have a small jammer every time I see one pop into my engine bay. Ultrasonic repellant? Coyote urine? Moth balls? Dryer sheets?? I will lawfully shoot a coyote and drag it around my parked truck at times to help. I have a GMC canyon and I know the Toyotas also have soy based wiring insulation.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Keeping mice and rats out of your hunting truck

I just destroyed a nest from my F150 5.0. Below the air intake and above the block, right in the "V" of the engine is a nice, warm 3" gap for them to settle into.

Complete with turds on top of the intake. Disgusting.

I am interested in this also, as it can be a serious concern when out in the bush, especially alone.

Leave the hood open and a light if you can,rats were bad this year destroyed the wifes car dont waste your money on moth balls as well as cotton soaked in peppermint oil or dryer sheets they just used it for thier nest.

Left my truck for a week sometimes and never had a problem with anything chewing wires etc. One time had a pack rack stuff a bunch of leaves and some salami (that we tried feeding the whisky jacks with) around my engine block. That was it. Heard of porcupine chewing tires where there are large numbers of them. Guys wrap some chicken wire around the truck. But never heard of mice problems.

BHB
    Quote Originally Posted by BiG Boar View Post
    Are you M or F? Might get more takers with tits.

open the hood 5" or so. found this out years ago. at a new lake an notice trucks with all the hoods slightly open, had too ask.
    bush rats they call them.

you might wat to consider chaining the hood ajar or risk a missing battery when you get back

Yes, propping the hood open with a piece of 2x4 on its side helps prevent them from entering the engine bay.

They can't chew through stainless steel wire mesh, you can get some to cover your air intakes etc.

~NH#

what is the deal with leaving the hood open? Gives them less of an "enclosed" feel? Makes them less likely to stick around?

Rats feasted on some of my truck wiring last winter. Check engine light came on so off to the dealer.
    $3000 in damage. ICBC covered most of the bill. Weaton GM technician suggest Irish Spring soap flakes under the hood.
    So far so good. Used to be pissed at cats pooping under my deck but now welcome them (rat deterrent).

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    what is the deal with leaving the hood open? Gives them less of an "enclosed" feel? Makes them less likely to stick around?
    Ya, I’ve seen the same thing last year at a camp close to ours. We were wondering why they had all their hoods up. First day we figured that someone was getting a boost or had a mechanical problem but after a week of the same thing, we were scratching our heads.